Newsroom Update

Apple is introducing a new Apple Watch Pride Edition Braided Solo Loop, matching watch face, and dynamic iOS and iPadOS wallpapers as a way to champion global movements to protect and advance equality for LGBTQ+ communities. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Reset iPhone 4S to Sprint from Verizon?

I recently sold my perfectly good Sprint iPhone 4S on ebay. Well, I get an email saying Sprint wouldn't activate it for the buyer so they sent it back. Now that I have it back I see they tried to flash it to Verizon (which is the carrier listed in the settings). Surely there is a way to reset this or re-program it back to Sprint so I can once again try to resell it to a trustworthy buyer? Could not find the answer anywhere online. I would rather just reset it than go to war with them via the warped ebay justice system. Thanks for any help!

Mac mini, OS X Mavericks (10.9.5), null

Posted on May 21, 2015 11:33 AM

14 replies

May 21, 2015 11:37 AM in response to Wetsignal

There may not be a way. There is no way to reflash an iPhone without jailbreaking it and replacing the baseband firmware. And no way to switch it back without jailbreaking it again, and there's no guarantee that it's even possible. About all you can try is to restore the phone from DFU mode:

• Install the latest version of iTunes on your computer if it isn't there already
  • Reboot your computer
  • Disable any antivirus and firewalls
  • Launch iTunes
  • Connect the device cable to a USB port on the computer (not to a USB hub), but DO NOT CONNECT TO THE DEVICE YET
  • Press and hold the HOME and SLEEP buttons at the same time for exactly 10 seconds, until the screen turns black, then release the SLEEP button but continue holding the HOME button. If an Apple logo appears while holding both buttons you held for too long; start over.
  • While still holding the HOME button connect the other end of the cable to the device
  • You should see a message in iTunes saying a phone in Recovery mode has been detected (it may take up to a minute for the message to appear). When you see that message release the HOME button and the device should restore. When asked DO NOT restore a backup; set up as a new phone.

May 21, 2015 1:20 PM in response to Wetsignal

No, unfortunately, it will redownload the image file to your computer. There's no way to avoid that. The over-the-air update directly to the phone is not large; about 150 MB because it isn't a full image.

One thing to try, that may not solve the carrier problem but won't do any harm, i Settings/General/Reset - Erase all content and settings

May 21, 2015 1:43 PM in response to Lawrence Finch

OK. I have DSL service installing in mere days but I want this resolved so I will update at local wifi and then deal with whatever it does once I get it home, hopefully not too large like you said. Your tone is not reassuring but I'll give it a go. There really should be some way to protect against/fix this kind of thing, to get back to "zero" as it were. The ESN is still clean and showing Sprint as carrier. I guess Sprint would have no idea how to fix it if this doesn't work.

May 23, 2015 5:48 AM in response to Wetsignal

I am still waiting to try the method you suggested but I wanted to pick your brain once more on this issue if you don't mind. The buyer of this phone (who allegedly flashed it to verizon and then returned it in this condition) is giving me the "I have no idea what you are talking about" response and I wanted to ask you if it was possible they are innocent in this. I don't see how they could be but I don't know much about this stuff.

I bought the phone on eBay a few months ago from a reputable seller. He claimed the phone had a clean esn, no iCloud lock, etc. And indeed the phone worked like a charm on Ting, which uses sprint's towers. I grew tired of the shortened battery life of this older phone and decided to sell it. What I am asking is: given that it worked fine for me mere weeks ago, and that the phone had/still has a clean esn that comes up as a sprint phone when i check it online, is it possible the carrier could have changed from sprint to verizon somehow when I did the complete reset/erase before I shipped it to the buyer? For instance, could it have been flashed from verizon to sprint before I bought it and when I reset it, it reverted to verizon? I seriously doubt this since the serial number when checked online, says it is a clean sprint phone (right?) but like I said I don't know much about flashing. Thanks and sorry for the weird formatting, doing this on my (other) phone and it just posted this way.

May 27, 2015 9:19 PM in response to Lawrence Finch

The recovery mode reset didn't work, still says it is a Verizon phone. I guess I'll just sell it as a functional Verizon phone now since both their website and the guy at the store said it could be activated on their network. I refunded the buyer, I think she did mess with the phone but there is no way to prove anything, not worth the trouble. By the way, the people at the Sprint store said all I'd need is a Sprint SIM card to activate with Sprint which seemed weird since Ting didn't require a SIM. But Ting said Sprint has been changing their network so it could be possible. Anyway, thanks for your help, I appreciate it.

Reset iPhone 4S to Sprint from Verizon?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.