Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iBook thinks LCD is a Television

We have an old iBook that we use for presentations with a projector, and it recently stopped being able to send signal to the projector. If we boot the iBook with the projector attached, the initial grey screen with the Apple logo appears. When it switches to the blue background, the projector says "no signal." In the Displays preferences, the main display is called "Television" and it gives choices of different resolutions and MHz. (It should be "Color LCD" and without the MHz values.) The projector does not show up as a display.

Thinking that it surely was a software problem, I booted the bad iBook off a good iBook G3/500's HD (in target disk mode) and the same symptoms appeared. It is not a connection problem since the adaptor works fine when plugged into the other iBook. Zapping PRAM and resetting the PMU did not remedy the problem.

Does anyone have any ideas? Could a short circuit (perhaps in the wires going through the hinge) be confusing the display detection?

Thanks,
Mike

iBook G3/500 Mac OS X (10.4.8)

Posted on Oct 24, 2006 4:32 PM

14 replies

Oct 24, 2006 9:09 PM in response to Ronda Wilson

Thanks for helping out. When I booted from the other iBook's hard drive, I logged in as a user on that computer. (It again detected the display as "Television" suggesting to me that it was a hardware problem.) Earlier, I also tried booting with OS 9. It didn't work, but can't remember the details. Is there another reason to make a new account?
Mike

Oct 26, 2006 4:38 PM in response to mjprigge

I hooked up a 17" LCD display, and it behaved exactly the same as the projector: when booted, the gray screen with the Apple logo showed on both displays, then the external display went black as the iBook display switched to the subsequent blue-background screen. The external display was no longer detectable.

Is there a way to bypass the attached LCD for the external? I was not able to wake the closed iBook from sleep using an external keyboard like I could with my old TiBook. I read somewhere that this is disabled on iBooks because they cool through their keyboards.

Oct 27, 2006 9:45 PM in response to mjprigge

Disconnect any video adapter you may have attached and restart the iBook. You may need to use the Apple-control-power button to do this if you can't see a menu. At the chime, hold down on the Apple-option-p-r keys all at the same time. Wait until you have heard the startup chime for the third time, then let go of the keys. (I realize you said that zapping the PRAM didn't help, but let's give a go one more time. You did not indicate, specifically, that the video adapter was not plugged in at the time.) Does the iBook screen return to the main display at 1024 x 768? If not, you almost certainly have a hardware issue. I don't suppose it's possible that someone has installed the firmware hack that allows the extended Desktop?

-Doug

Oct 30, 2006 3:00 PM in response to Douglas McLaughlin

Although I was very skeptical, doing this fixed it...temporarily. After resetting the PRAM, the Displays preference pane came up as Color LCD. I put it to sleep, plugged in the projector, woke it, and that worked too. After telling everyone that it was fixed, I put it to sleep, disconnected the projector, woke it up, and then it had gone back to thinking it was a Television display. It still didn't detect the LCD correctly after restarting it. I was going to reset the PRAM again, but missed the start-up chime. (Another weirdness of this iBook is that the Start-up chime doesn't sound through the external speakers, only throught the head phone jack...at least some times.) After it booted the second time, miraculously, it again detected the LCD.

I know that for the second reboot the screen was opened around 90° but I don't remember how far it was opened the first time. Hopefully, the first reboot was a fluke and there is not a short in the LCD cords going through the hinge. (I suspect that my personal iBook G3/500 has come down with the dreaded cords-through-the-hinge problems where things go haywire if it is opened 90° of more (screen flickers, I lose WiFi connections, and my trackpad occasionally stops responding). The part arrived today.)

Nov 1, 2006 2:33 PM in response to jona'fro666

It acually turned out that there is something wrong with the A/V port. Everything works when headphones are plugged into the A/V port, but the computer thinks a television is connected otherwise. Until your post, I never realized that the headphone port also serves as a video-out port. Thanks! I don't see anything lodged in the hole that could be causing the problem, so we'll just keep headphones handy.

iBook thinks LCD is a Television

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.