Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Very frequently, I have to reset Airport Extreme (7.7.3) to get it to assign IP address to a variety of iPhones latest is iPhone 5 iOS 8.3. DHCP seems to fail to properly assign 192.168.x.x unless rebooted.

Have to frequently reboot Airport Extreme(7.7.3) to get it to assign IP address to variety of iPhones. Latest was iPhone 5 (with iOS 8.3). DHCP does not assign proper IP address until rebooted.

MacBook, Mac OS X (10.7.5)

Posted on May 21, 2015 11:48 AM

9 replies

May 21, 2015 6:17 PM in response to whitehot1

You need to fill in the picture a bit.

Why are you using the 192.168 address space? If you have the AE set to dhcp and nat, by default it will use 10.0.1.x and I strongly advise people not to move it, as it seems to be hard coded in there somewhere... hence it takes fright when you move it.

There are a couple of other strange things going on.. where apple is trying to play around with peer to peer connections to Yosemite computers.. and this leads to all kinds of chaos.

Tell us a bit more.. main modem and router.. how the AE is setup in the network?

Perhaps a couple of screenshots of the setup when working.. and then if you can get something when it fails.

May 31, 2015 11:14 PM in response to whitehot1

Keep track of the IP addresses as they are handed out.. there are only 20 available.. and if any device is not behaving it can simply run out..

You already have 3 used by your other routers.. And another few by devices connected.. one showing a (3) which could mean it has 3 other addresses currently.

Increase the dhcp range.. but even better change the IP range back to default.. I can tell you even if you think you have it set to 192.168... the AE deep down inside still thinks it is 10.0.x.x

Jun 1, 2015 11:55 AM in response to LaPastenague

I can tell you even if you think you have it set to 192.168... the AE deep down inside still thinks it is 10.0.x.x

Can you shed some light on this, i.e., what behaviors / symptoms pop up? Just curious. I've only used the AirPorts in my house in bridge mode, so they aren't assigning any addresses.

Thanks in advance!! And sorry for the tangent on this thread - just trying to learn something...

Jun 1, 2015 3:29 PM in response to jjkraw

Although apple removed the majority of info about what is going on inside the Apple routers.. there is a command line utility.

I wrote it up but next to nobody pays attention to my delving into the airport code.

Terminal command to check Apple router status. natutil

when I run that utility.. the airport routers all pass back the wrong IP address range for dhcp.. always 10.0.1.x

I have tried it across models and firmware versions.. but it still does it.

That has made me suspicious that they have something hard coded.

There was another problem like Yosemite DNS .. but it is particularly worse on a connection to apple router.. this goes all the way back to Lion.. The network would lose the airport and routing would go until people rebooted the apple router.. unstable arp or route tables in my experience over a range of domestic routers.. has shown moving off default IP has often been a cause of this.

In the end it is just a suspicion.. but when people report issues I like them to try running default to see if it is better.

I had some actual route and arp tables but I cannot reproduce them.. and I have to admit running so many apple routers I can get confused if I have something in the network running back on defaults when it shouldn't. I wanted to show that info but.. since I cannot now get proof I will leave it.

I will check again over longer term.. (although getting older, I sometimes forget what I am doing.. 🙂)

Jun 3, 2015 6:55 AM in response to LaPastenague

OK, I've increased the DHCP range still in the 'C' class 192.168.1.x range to see if that works. I'm monitoring that.

Now, if Airport devices revert to 'A' class 10.x.x.x dhcp range, I'm not sure how much of that address to use. What subnet mask is used? Is this documented anywhere in Airport docs? Can you send an example of a good 'A' class 10.x.x.x address and s/n mask to use?

Jun 3, 2015 4:18 PM in response to whitehot1

Apple doesn't ever get down to tin tacks on its network gear.

But the standard Apple router configuration is to use 10.0.1.1 as home address but it still uses Class C subnet.. 255.255.255.0

The default dhcp range is 2-200 and the lease time is set to one day.

Those values are what I would stick with unless you know what you are doing.

My suggestion to help issues would be setting dhcp reservations for those things that are best kept at a static IP.. and set the lease time to 1hour to keep the renewal period short for devices using dynamic addresses.

In the old utility you could track some of this info but the new utility is near useless.

You will need other utilities to track things like DHCP and the number of devices on a network.. FING is an excellent free app for the iOS.

As a btw .. there is a bit of diagnostics on the iOS version of the utility.. it only applied to the latest gen AE and TC.. but it does contain some interesting stuff.. although most of it means nothing to me. Apple collects it.. in the background.. it never shows in the Mac version..

User uploaded file

Click on Diagnostics and Usage.

You will see a bunch of dated files.

User uploaded file

Some bits of some of them I can make sense of.

User uploaded file

User uploaded file

User uploaded file

User uploaded file

Some of it is goobly-gook. There are several pages worth in this one.

User uploaded file

I got rid of my AC version TC.. so I have none of that info now.. and I do not miss it.. actually I do have serial access if I need it.

But for most of what people use you won't need this level. This is obtained by soldering in a serial port.. i do not recommend it to the faint of heart.

tcgen4# arp -a

? (10.0.1.2) at 40:6c:8f:08:05:0c on bridge0

? (192.168.2.1) at e8:94:f6:c7:16:ec on mgi1

? (192.168.2.255) at (incomplete) on mgi1

I can add changes to the route table.

tcgen4# route add -net 8.8.8.8/32 127.0.0.1

add net 8.8.8.8: gateway 127.0.0.1

tcgen4# route show

Routing tables

Internet:

Destination Gateway Flags

default 192.168.2.1 UG

8.8.8.8/32 127.0.0.1 UG

10.0.1.0/24 link#8 U

10.0.1.2 40:6c:8f:08:05:0c UHL

127.0.0.0/8 127.0.0.1 UGR

I have added all this for jjkraw as well.. !!

My email is open on the profile.. so talk to me if you want more info.

Very frequently, I have to reset Airport Extreme (7.7.3) to get it to assign IP address to a variety of iPhones latest is iPhone 5 iOS 8.3. DHCP seems to fail to properly assign 192.168.x.x unless rebooted.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.