Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

macbook display removal?

Hi There,

I have an old macbook 2012 Mid which I would like to use as an entainment / Nav system on my boat. It has served well on the boat as a laptop but has had some water damage and the keyboard does not work anymore... SO I would like to detach the sceen and mount this to the wooden hatch above my charts table, with the macbook body/guts mounted on the otherside of the hatch. so bascally a screen on one side of a piece of wood and the macbook on the other with the screen cable running through a hole in the wood from one side to the other to connect the screen to the working parts. I plan to use a usb keyboard and mouse.

is this something that can be done. I hope so... or its back to square one

MacBook

Posted on May 21, 2015 12:18 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 21, 2015 3:48 PM

Can I assume it is a MacBook Pro 13"? If so this link will help you dismantle the laptop. https://www.ifixit.com/Guide/MacBook+Pro+13-Inch+Unibody+Mid+2012+Display+Replac ement/10366

3 replies

May 23, 2015 2:16 AM in response to MikeeMikeMike

While it may be possible to re-use a damaged portable Apple computer in such a way,

you'd have to consider the environmental effects on the remainder of the unit, once it

was installed in such a way; condensation and vibration from an engine, movement of

the panel the remainder of the computer parts would be attached to, and other detail.

There are sites online where people have done odd repairs or custom re-fitted Macs

into cars, and other places; some were a good fit in that the power demand is DC,

and a DC-to-DC converter should be easily adapted for use with a portable Mac.

Your question and this increasingly lengthy thread should be moved to the correct

vintage MacBook/Pro or older MacBook (2006-2010) section, as applicable, since

the current 2015 MacBook is quite different and this section is inappropriate for the

kind of situation you have. The MacBook Pro without retina-display, but with an optical

drive, is still in production, and is an extension of the 2012 build model, still for sale

in the Apple Store. But this ASC section is not about these other models, or the Air:

•MacBook Pro - ASC discussions area

•MacBook (13-inch, 2006-2010) - ASC discussions area

The topic would be better suited for older hardware areas, since topic you present has

little to do with the new 2015 MacBook 12-inch portable computer with Retina display.

See: headless macbook pro

https://www.google.com/?gws_rd=ssl#q=headless+macbook+pro

Good luck in any event & happy computing! 🙂

macbook display removal?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.