Newsroom Update

Beginning in May, a special Today at Apple series titled “Made for Business” will offer small business owners and entrepreneurs free opportunities to learn how Apple products and services can support their growth and success. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to use ARD to initiate software updates from App Store

Hi All,

In a corporate environment, its hard to keep track of all Macs in the office especially when it comes to software/security updates. I was wondering if there was any way I can tell every mac on my list to install updates that it is available under the App Store? I would hate to click install on each Mac that we have.

For example, telling each Mac to install any updates that are available under "Updates" in the App Store.

Thanks,

Brian

Posted on May 21, 2015 2:40 PM

1 reply

May 22, 2015 3:05 AM in response to blazex4

Not sure if ARD is the way forward here? Using the 'softwareupdate' command does not work for Apps purchased in the App Store.

Probably an MDM and or deployment solution such as Casper/Munki/Deployment Studio etc is better suited to your needs? However assuming all the same apps are installed on all of the macs in your client list then you can use ARD's copy command to distribute updated Apps easily enough.

How to use ARD to initiate software updates from App Store

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.