Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

TouchID does not seem to work at all

Hello! I have purchased an iPhone today (not the first owner). It looks and works perfectly, except for TouchID. Everytime I try to add a fingerprint or change a setting related to TouchID (basically everytime the setup screen gets triggered), I immediately get the failed message. No option for tries, no anything. Just fails everytime. Is there a hardware problem? Is there anything I could try?

iPhone 5s, iOS 8.3

Posted on May 21, 2015 1:52 PM

5 replies

May 23, 2015 2:06 PM in response to Retrograd

Hey Retrograd,

I see that you have an iPhone and are experiencing some issues with the Touch ID sensor. Here are some suggestions for helping you address this issue:

Get help with Touch ID

1. Make sure that you're using the latest version of iOS.
  2. Make sure that your fingers and the Home button are clean and dry.*
  3. Cover the Home button completely. Don't tap too quickly, don't press down hard, and don't move your finger while Touch ID is scanning. Make sure that your finger touches the metal ring around the Home button.
  4. If you're using a case or screen protector, make sure it doesn't cover the Home button or the surrounding ring. If it does, remove the case or screen protector and try again.
  5. Tap Settings > Touch ID & Passcode and make sure that iPhone Unlock or iTunes & App Store is on. Also make sure that you've enrolled one or more fingerprints.
  6. Try enrolling a different finger.
  7. If you can't enroll any of your fingers, take your device to an Apple Retail Store, Apple Authorized Service Provider, or contact AppleCare for help.

* Moisture, lotions, sweat, oils, cuts, or dry skin might affect fingerprint recognition. Certain activities can also temporarily affect fingerprint recognition, including exercising, showering, swimming, cooking, or other conditions or changes that affect your fingerprint.

Use Touch ID on iPhone and iPad - Apple Support

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201371

Thanks for coming to the Apple Support Communities!

Cheers,

Braden

May 24, 2015 5:49 AM in response to braden85

Thank you for the information! Unfortunately, I cannot do any of the above. I have iOS 8.3 and the screen that should guide me towards adding a fingerprint and configuring TouchID gives an error everytime it gets opened. I never get the screen where I should place my finger. All I get is the error message, as soon as I open the configuration.

May 24, 2015 8:45 AM in response to Retrograd

Hi Retrograd,

If you follow these restart tips, it may help resolve your issue. If not, we can look for further solutions.

How to restart

1. Press and hold the Sleep/Wake button until the red slider appears.
  2. Drag the slider to turn your device completely off.
  3. After the device turns off, press and hold the Sleep/Wake button again until you see the Apple logo.

User uploaded file

TouchID does not seem to work at all

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.