Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Photos not syncing

I have just noticed that the photos in the Camera Roll dont seem to be syncing between my iPad and iPhone. There are 40 photos missing on my iPhone. Any ideas?

Running iOS 8.3 on both my iPhone 6 and iPad with retina display.

iOS 8.3

Posted on May 21, 2015 2:24 PM

5 replies

May 23, 2015 2:41 PM in response to Jacqui L Davies

Hello Jacqui,

It will be hard to say why the photos are syncing over mainly because it depends on how you have everything set up. If you have iCloud Photo Library setup then everything will be the same across all devices that have that option turned on. If you have not set that up and using My Photo Stream then you will need to make sure that you are connected to Wi-Fi and that the Camera app is closed out before everything will sync up. For more details, take a look at the links below to get you sorted out.

iCloud Photo Library FAQ

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT204264

Get help using My Photo Stream

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT203511

Regards,

-Norm G.

May 26, 2015 1:58 PM in response to norm123

Hi Norm

Thanks for your reply. I've read through the articles you posted which have some good advice. However I'm still at a loss when it comes to my syncing.

The settings in the Photos app are:

iCloud Photo Library - OFF

My Photo Stream - ON

iCloud Photo Sharing - ON

Summerise Photos - ON

I want to turn my iCloud Photo Library ON but I get the following message:

"Photo synced via iTunes will be removed. Syncing photos via iTunes is not supported when iCloud Photo Library is turned on. 367 photos will be removed."

Obviously I don't want to lose any of my photos, so I'm not sure what to do. The settings are the same on my iPad and iPhone and both run iOS 8.3. I never use Photo Stream and fail to see the point of it. Maybe you could explain that to me too! I look forward to your comments.

May 28, 2015 2:58 PM in response to Jacqui L Davies

Hey Jacqui,

The albums that you have on your iPhone would have either been synced over from your computer or you made them yourself on your iPhone. When turning on iCloud Photo library, you will want to save the photos to the Camera Roll or email them to yourself as a way to back them up before you make this transition.

The My Photo Stream was a something that would upload photos to that specific album and it would show up on your other devices that had that feature enabled. The photos would stay there for 30 days so that you could back up your photos if you are the type to not sync your phone frequently with iTunes or import the photos to your computer.

The differences between iCloud Photo Library and My Photo Stream is that iCloud Photo Library will be the exact same across all devices. That means that all photos, their changes and even newly created albums will show up on all devices and is something that counts towards your iCloud storage. The My Photo Stream will be something that is separate from your Camera Roll and that it will have its own album. With My Photo Stream, it will not count against your iCloud Storage.

My Photo Stream FAQ

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201317

Take care,

-Norm G.

Jun 3, 2015 6:57 AM in response to norm123

Hi Norm

Thanks for all that. I've switched on iCloud Photo Library on both devices and I don't seem to have lost any photos. I'm not sure I completely understand why backing up photos in iTunes should cause difficulties - it all seems rather convoluted to me! All I want is all my photos showing on both devices and I can then backup these photos on my PC. Anyway, many thanks for your assistance and for being so patient with me!

KInd regards

Jacqui

Photos not syncing

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.