Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Buffering with Home Sharing - restart iTunes to fix

I have a first generation Apple TV and I'm very happy with it but it doesn't have Netflix so I thought I would treat myself to an third generation Apple TV. It works fine on Netflix and streams content from other providers well also.

One thing I would like to do is stream films from my Mac using Home Sharing as it doesn't have an internal hard disk drive like my old Apple TV.

There's the problem. I can stream from my Mac for an hour or so but then all I get is the buffering symbol, no matter what I try to watch over Home Sharing.

The only thing I can do to rectify the problem is restart iTunes on my Mac. Everything works for another hour or so and then the buffering starts again.

My Mac seems to be the problem but I don't know what to do. It's not running anything other than iTunes 12.

Can anyone assist?

Many thanks.

Cp

Apple TV, OS X Mavericks (10.9.5), Mac Mini 16GB

Posted on May 21, 2015 2:07 PM

2 replies

May 21, 2015 10:24 PM in response to vazandrew

Thank you vazandrew for your prompt response to my query. I can confirm that we have two wireless networks with five channels of separation. A site survey shows these are the only networks in range with 92 and 93% signal strength. I have tried connecting both devices to both networks. I also have both devices connected via ethernet as this was my first check.

Unfortunately the issue persists and only goes away temporarily if iTunes is restarted.

I have tested Home Streaming to a laptop which shows the same problem. I can stream a whole film no problem at all, but if I go away for a couple of hours and try again, I just get the buffering symbol.

So far I have been able to eliminate the network and the Apple TV. The problem appears to be something to do with the Mac although I am happy to be corrected.

Many thanks.

Cp

Buffering with Home Sharing - restart iTunes to fix

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.