Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

how to reset an AirPort Extreme to original settings

I need to reset two Airport Extremes to factory settings. Any ideas?

PowerMac, Mac OS X (10.7.5)

Posted on May 21, 2015 4:01 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 21, 2015 4:10 PM

Resetting an AirPort base station FAQ

5 replies

May 22, 2015 7:19 AM in response to FredCollington

That seemed to be what I needed. I have gone thru the steps for a soft reset, hard reset, and factory default reset. In each case I closed and restarted the Airport Utility. In each case, when I click on the device, it still asks for a password. If I remembered the password, all this would be unnecessary. That's the problem with Apple, such solid devices that years can go by between times you need to reset them, and that's enough time to forget the password. If only there was a way to record them. Yes, I know there is, but I didn't use it way back when. <sigh>

All this because a handy man unplugged the extension Airport upstairs, when plugged back in the utility opened with both devices blinking yellow. I should have left it alone.

May 22, 2015 7:30 AM in response to FredCollington

I have gone thru the steps for a soft reset, hard reset, and factory default reset. In each case I closed and restarted the Airport Utility. In each case, when I click on the device, it still asks for a password

The support document that Kappy provided to you tells you that....

What default settings will my AirPort base station have after a hard or factory default reset?

• AirPort base stations are set to request an IP address by DHCP.
  • AirPort base station passwords are "public."
  • AirPort base station names revert to "base station xxxxxx," where xxxxxx is the last six digits of the wireless MAC address*.
  • AirPort base station network names are "Apple Network xxxxxx," where xxxxxx is the last six digits of the wireless MAC address*.

Perhaps you overlooked that information? It is on the first page of the support document.

May 25, 2015 12:25 PM in response to Bob Timmons

Sorry about the delay. I unplugged it and went out of town for a few days.

I attempted to use 'public' as a password, both lower and upper case. No joy. You are right, I did overlook that info. So I carefully went thru the document and thought I was ready.

I followed the directions for a factory default reset again, the yellow light blinked as described, still cant get in.

I have brought my second Airport down from upstairs, followed these precedures as described. I unplugged the first one plugged in the second one, got the same symptoms. So I'm sure it is something I'm doing or not doing, since two devices are not going to fail in the same way.

I just don't know where to go from here.

how to reset an AirPort Extreme to original settings

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.