Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Newsroom Update

The all-new Logic Pro for iPad and Mac delivers breakthrough music-making experiences. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Having Trouble Importing Old Project

Hi everyone, I am working in Logic Pro X and I have someone who is trying to share their project with me. Their project is from Logic pro 7 and when I try to open it in Logic Pro X it of course asks me to save a new project so it can convert the old project to the Logic Pro X format. Once it does this it opens the new project and asks me to create a track and doesn't have any information from the Logic Pro 7 project, no tracks, no effects, no settings, or anything. It looks like I just created a new project.

He shared the project (and all the files needed for the project such as audio files, back up files etc.) with me via google drive and there is 1TB of space on my google drive so there is definitely enough room to handle the project.

Is this issue coming from how he shared it with me or is there something I am missing?

Thank you all in advance for your help!

MacBook Pro, Mac OS X (10.7.2)

Posted on May 21, 2015 3:19 PM

5 replies

May 21, 2015 5:44 PM in response to drumingdude

Try the following;

Create a blank new Project in Logic Pro X

Now use the Selective Track Import (STI) feature in LPX to import each of the tracks, their contents and plugins etc from the LP7 project into the new LPX project..

Try importing tracks one at a time in case there is any corruption with the LP7 project that is preventing it loading the full project..

Info on how to use STI can be found here...

http://music.tutsplus.com/tutorials/how-to-use-selective-track-import-in-logic-p ro-9--audio-3181

Note: The above tutorial is for LP9 but STI works the same way in LPX too...

Additional: STI is one of the most overlooked and underused features of Logic Pro in my opinion... and has a multitude of different uses.... troubleshooting being just one.. Using STI to selectively copy track content and/or plugin combinations in a track... from one project into another for example.. is another very useful function.

May 22, 2015 8:15 AM in response to The Art Of Sound

Thank you for the quick response! I tried following those directions and it doesn't seem to work the way that tutorial said it should. When I open the browser in logic pro x and navigate to the old project file I want to open (in this case its named "Bens Buff") it won't let me open it. I have attached a picture to show what it looks like.

User uploaded file

On the tutorial it shows a bar of options "Global | Audio | Inst | Aux | I/O | Midi" and I don't see those options in my browser. So when I try to open the logic pro 7 project or import it I will get either a window asking me to convert it (which leads me to the same issue Ive been having) or I will get this error message

User uploaded file

And again it doesn't let me convert it properly.

Thanks again!

Having Trouble Importing Old Project

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.