Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

TC: configuring Ethernet backups, no WiFi please.

Thanks in advance for indulging my paranoia.

And newbie-ness.

I really don't want WiFi ANYthing in this home (performance, security), but...

I'll be buying my first smartphone ever (iPhone 6) for the SOLE purpose of previewing the scalable websites I design. That is to say I'll enable / disable WiFi, every time, manually, if needed. I'm taking every precaution to ensure the iMac can NEVER be accessed via WiFi. (Suggestions appreciated.)

I'll need a wireless router, and it will be Airport, again strictly for ease of use and setup. Worth the extra cost.

The system has a 4-bay HDD enclosure attached via USB 3.0. Two HDDs are for system bootable backup via SuperDuper; the other two are strictly storage for the music server. The enclosure is set up as JBOD.

Finally, the question: can I create a third backup (by Time Machine or SuperDuper) in the Airport Time Capsule using ONLY Ethernet? And if I can, are there any TM complications backing up via Ethernet while using the iPhone WiFi?

Not really a TM fan after two failed attempts to launch, but maybe it will work with a Time Capsule.

Or is this too much complexity / confusion for one reason or another? I'd sooner have it foolproof with Extreme and one less HDD than a problematic TC/TM.

Thanx.

iMac, OS X Yosemite (10.10.3), 1TB SSD, 32GB, DSL

Posted on May 21, 2015 5:14 PM

4 replies

May 21, 2015 5:45 PM in response to gd0

Perhaps some lessening of the paranoia could be worth it..

I prefer ethernet.. but for laptops, phones, ipads etc.. having wireless is great. Setup properly with WPA2 Personal security and a decent.. lets say 25 character mix case and number password.. hacking is near impossible. (no one should say impossible .. and ways and means are always being worked on but until quantum computers it will take a lifetime to crack the password).

Apple systems are now highly dependent on wifi.. you might have noticed.. !! It is actually difficult to set things up now without wireless running. So even if it is turned off in the client you still need it running somewhere.

Backup over ethernet is great.. we positively confirm the choice.. it is faster and more reliable than wireless.. but the actual discovery of the TC can be a losing battle on yosemite due to dns changes.

See

Problems in wireless with yosemite.

AWDL

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/6693499

http://help.apple.com/deployment/ios/#/apd8fc751f59

And http://arstechnica.com/apple/2015/01/why-dns-in-os-x-10-10-is-broken-and-what-yo u-can-do-to-fix-it/

Not really a TM fan after two failed attempts to launch, but maybe it will work with a Time Capsule.

TM is more reliable to TC than most other network targets.. but it is not immune to issues. Local drives are faster, even USB2 will beat ethernet gigabit connections.. and it is simply less problematic.

However SuperDuper and other 3rd party backups can also work to network targets and work more reliably than TM due to the simpler methods used. TM is awful complicated.

See http://pondini.org/TM/Works.html

Having wandered around..

Finally, the question: can I create a third backup (by Time Machine or SuperDuper) in the Airport Time Capsule using ONLY Ethernet? And if I can, are there any TM complications backing up via Ethernet while using the iPhone WiFi?

You can do what you want and there is no complication using wireless.. indeed using wireless makes things generally easier.

One thing to be very aware of.

The airport utility is so enamoured of wireless it simply doesn't see ethernet connections without explicitly setting it to ethernet.. whereupon it cannot see wireless.

And it is hidden.. Ethernet is under.. Other WiFi Devices in the top left corner of the airport utility.. it will only show if there is a connection. How ethernet is another wifi only apple can figure out.

User uploaded file

May 21, 2015 10:49 PM in response to LaPastenague

Thanks LP

Backup over ethernet is great... it is faster and more reliable than wireless.. but the actual discovery of the TC can be a losing battle on yosemite due to dns changes.

TM is more reliable to TC than most other network targets.. but it is not immune to issues. Local drives are faster, even USB2 will beat ethernet gigabit connections.. and it is simply less problematic.

That might be all I need to know. I don't need TM, much less a buggy and slow TM; I've had to rebuild a grand total of 3 Photoshop files in 25 years. Bootable backups for me. I'll just get an Extreme. I think.

I prefer ethernet.. but for laptops, phones, ipads etc.. having wireless is great.

I'm not mobile to speak of. I won't buy phone service for the iPhone. It really is meant to sit right next to the iMac and check website performance on the two devices. And then be detached by whatever means necessary. And possibly nothing else.

I'd prefer the iPhone and iMac were unaware that the other exists. I want that iMac protected. If an Extreme facilitates that better than a Time Capsule, swell.

Apple systems are now highly dependent on wifi.. you might have noticed.. !! It is actually difficult to set things up now without wireless running.

It took 8 different Apple reps to convince me that the Bluetooth keyboard and trackpad would be OK to use.

Setup properly with WPA2 Personal security and a decent.. lets say 25 character mix case and number password.. hacking is near impossible. (no one should say impossible ..

And of course I went blank at the mention of WPA2, whatever that is.

I've got zero understanding of this kind of networking and its IP addresses and passwords, so whatever I do has to be simple, esp given my minimal usage. Hence consideration of Airport one way or the other. Is there a better option?

One thing to be very aware of.

The airport utility is so enamoured of wireless it simply doesn't see ethernet connections without explicitly setting it to ethernet.. whereupon it cannot see wireless.

And it is hidden.. Ethernet is under.. Other WiFi Devices in the top left corner of the airport utility.. it will only show if there is a connection. How ethernet is another wifi only apple can figure out.

Well, that actually sounded good. If Ethernet is enabled, WiFi is disabled? And vice-versa?

Is it difficult to switch back and forth?

Or is it simply enough to disable WiFi in the iMac?

gd0

TC: configuring Ethernet backups, no WiFi please.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.