Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

keyboard backlight not working, no option to automatically illuminate in low light

hi, i have a mid 2009 macbook pro and the keyboard backlight has stopped working, f5 and f6 do nothing, there is no option to check automatically illuminate keyboard in low light in the keyboard settings. i've tried reseting the smc, pram and evening reinstalling yosemite through recovery but nothing has worked, any help would be appreciated. i don't think it is a hardware issue because if it were the option to illuminate automatically would not have disappeared from the keyboard settings. thanks in advance.

MacBook Pro, OS X Yosemite (10.10.3), mid 2009 13.3"

Posted on May 21, 2015 4:07 PM

8 replies

May 21, 2015 5:19 PM in response to mayu31

mayu31 wrote:

hi, i have a mid 2009 macbook pro and the keyboard backlight has stopped working, f5 and f6 do nothing, there is no option to check automatically illuminate keyboard in low light in the keyboard settings. i've tried reseting the smc, pram and evening reinstalling yosemite through recovery but nothing has worked, any help would be appreciated. i don't think it is a hardware issue because if it were the option to illuminate automatically would not have disappeared from the keyboard settings. thanks in advance.

Please post a screenshot to confirm the missing option. It does not look like.....

User uploaded file

User uploaded file

Apr 14, 2016 9:50 AM in response to CMCSK

Hi, I have exactly this problem, Same screen shot. Same irrelevant internet search responses.

This worked yesterday. .....I'll repeat that - keyboard backlight worked yesterday. This MBP is nearly always used in low light rooms.

MBP is early 2011. Never had this problem before.

Two days ago the Sydney genius bar fixed reboot fail on El Capitan 10.11.4 (took 3 hours plus clean install)

keyboard backlight not working, no option to automatically illuminate in low light

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.