Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Newsroom Update

Apple is introducing a new Apple Watch Pride Edition Braided Solo Loop, matching watch face, and dynamic iOS and iPadOS wallpapers as a way to champion global movements to protect and advance equality for LGBTQ+ communities. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPhone Photos App Mystery

My phone is nearing its storage capacity so I'm deleting everything I don't need. I synced my phone with iPhotos and deleted all the images off the phone but my settings say there's still 2GB of photos. I'm assuming this is being used by the Photos app.

I see no clear or easy way to delete the photos from this app. (The app itself I find impossible to use the way it was designed.)

Also, I read that if I delete something from Photos, it will delete it from my computer the next time I sync (great...). So I'm a bit confused about this app...

Any suggestions?

iMac, OS X Mavericks (10.9.2), Intel Core i3

Posted on May 21, 2015 4:16 PM

3 replies

May 22, 2015 10:14 AM in response to futureperfect

This is a known iOS bug.

1. Go to Settings
  2. Date & Time
  3. Untoggle "Set Automatically"
  4. Manually change the date back. For example, if today is March 15, 2015, choose August 1, 2014. (You can change it back once we're done)
  5. Close out of that
  6. Open "Photos"
  7. Select "Albums"
  8. If, like me, you had already cleared out everything from the Camera Roll and "Recently Deleted" folder, you'll smile to see that your "Recently Deleted" folder now has thousands of images back. Those are your phantom photos
  9. Open it, "Select" and start deleting
  10. Now, go back into Settings - General - Usage - Storage - Manage Storage - and you'll notice your Photo & Camera is empty if you deleted everything

iPhone Photos App Mystery

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.