Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Updating My iPhone without Losing Data?

I'm being prompted to update my iPhone when I connect to my iMac.

The last time I did this I lost my entire iTunes library. What did I do wrong?

iPhone 5c, iOS 8

Posted on May 21, 2015 4:26 PM

6 replies

May 21, 2015 5:28 PM in response to futureperfect

"iTunes library" - do you mean the iTunes music/media on your phone?? If you synced with a computer you never synced with before, the music/media and apps on your phone will be replaced by whatever is in the iTunes library on that computer - if nothing there, everything on the phone is deleted. You were warned that would happen when you tried to sync.

To prevent this, transfer all purchases on your phone to iTunes on your computer before syncing.

May 22, 2015 3:37 PM in response to modular747

I think you actually nailed the problem when you said, "To prevent this, transfer all purchases on your phone to iTunes on your computer before syncing."

It's unclear to me how to transfer everything. There doesn't seem to be an obvious way. I follow all the prompts and still get the error that there are still purchased items on my phone that might get deleted when I sync.

Updating My iPhone without Losing Data?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.