Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Accented Characters

I've lost the ability to add accented characters by holding down the letter key. When I hold the key down, the letter just repeats, instead of giving me alternative accented characters. I use the German ß frequently, so it's very frustrating for me. My Key Repeat is ON in System Preferences, so I can't figure out why I've lost this function. Anyone know how I can get it back?

Ryan

iMac, OS X Mavericks (10.9.5)

Posted on May 21, 2015 4:48 PM

1 reply

May 21, 2015 5:56 PM in response to Eszet

According to reports, you may be able to get press-and-hold character selection to work again as follows. I can't confirm.

Open the Keyboard pane in System Preferences and select the Input Sources tab. Click the plus-sign button at the bottom of the list of keyboard layouts on the left and add another one that includes accented characters (French, for example.)

I suggest you log out or restart the computer after making this change if it doesn't have an immediate effect.

Accented Characters

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.