Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Should I get rid of the Java folder?

So I read on the Web page The Safe Mac (http://www.reedcorner.net) that Java is a problem and it is best to get rid of it. I followed the advice to unchecked "enable Java"

(on my Safari version it's "Allow java" but it's probably the same thing).

But is that enough? That's for Safari, thus Web surfing. How about the Java folder in Mac Pro-->Library?

It has 3 folders. Two are empty ("Extensions" and "JavaVirtualMachines") but the "Home" folder has 5 folders and each has a lot of subfolders with 44 to 67 items each.

There must be 200 items or more there.

Should I leave it alone?

-------------

After reading some articles, I made a search on my computer (Finder-->Find) for "JavaAppletPlugin.plugin" and nothing appeared.

Also Java is not present in my System Preferences.

Mac Pro, Mac OS X (10.6.8), Quad-Core Intel Xeon

Posted on May 21, 2015 6:33 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 21, 2015 6:41 PM

Never, ever delete files or folders that you find in the Library folders. You only need disable Java in your browser.

5 replies

May 23, 2015 6:09 PM in response to Kappy

Oh, OK. Strong wording. Thank you. I won't touch the Java folder.

But I think your advise to never delete files or folders in the Library folders is for things that was put there by Apple or things that the computer needs.

A few days ago, I wanted to find a way to record music from an Internet radio and I downloaded something from NCH without checking first if they are legitimate. My instinct tells me that NCH is not trusthwordy.

I downloaded but couldn't open it or did opened it only to find that it doesn't work on a Mac.

In any case I see this in my Library dated May 15, 2015:

MacPro HD-->User-->michael-->Library-->LaunchAgents:

com.nchsoftware.soundtap.schedule.LikeSurvey.plist

I don't want it there. I don't trust it. It's not necessary for my Mac to work. I am the one who downloaded this, so I think it's alright to move this to the trash.

Going back to Java: (I have Java SE 6 and Safari 5.1.10)

Should I upgrade this: https://support.apple.com/kb/DL1573?locale=en_US

I don't want to use Java for Safari but should I have the latest version anyway, even if I disabled it?

May 24, 2015 4:39 PM in response to tony gardino

You don't need it for where you currently are. There are some Java oriented software that require the version you now have or they won't work even with the newer Oracle versions. So you probably don't need to upgrade unless you need the security components. Of course even with it installed you can disable it in Safari's preferences.

Should I get rid of the Java folder?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.