Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Why does Logic place so much demand on system graphics resources?

Hi.

I am starting to think Logic X places unusual demand on system graphics resources. Has anyone else experienced this?

I use Logic Pro X in a professional studio environment.

All machines are Mac Pros of various types from 5,1 to 6,1 with midrange ATI FirePro graphics cards, Yosemite 10.10.2+, Logic Pro 10.0.7+

The Logic Projects we use have 300+ tracks and a wide variety of software instruments, external MIDI, audio, etc etc. I know these kind of projects can really tax a machine.

However.

Logic Pro X seems to place some unusual demands on OS X graphics processes. There are issues with the Score Editor and Piano Roll Editor, which have not improved much in recent (as of May 2015) incremental updates.

We have had to disable many of the Yosemite graphical improvements to get Logic X to redraw more quickly.

This post comes after repeated attempts to get graphics on custom applications we build for the studio to draw effectively when the Logic Transport is active. These apps (I realize that Apple and Logic can't support third party software, but keep reading) are exhibiting graphical glitches when large Logic sessions are open, especially when the transport is active. My assumption has been that the third party apps are to blame.

But when I run similar sessions in Cubase the graphical problems disappear.

I will continue to investigate the issue from all directions, curious whether any other users are noticing Logic Pro X drawing CPU and GPU resources from other apps.

Posted on May 21, 2015 10:23 PM

18 replies

May 22, 2015 1:50 AM in response to jcrooksie

Similar problems have been reported here. Can one really call the Yosemite graphics enhancements........ improvements? Both Mavericks and Yosemite require more graphics horsepower, probably because of the "enhancements", that means new graphics libraries. That's part of the problem, but the real problem is probably that Logic's graphics routines either haven't been completely updated or can't be completely updated without a lot of other Logic 'parts" being rewritten. I'm pretty sure Logic still contains some pretty old code. As you mentioned, Cubase, which was completely rewritten a few years back can more easily adapt to new graphic routines. Speculation on my part but what else would keep Apple's flagship audio/MIDI program from being 100% compatible with the most recent operating systems. I think improvements were noticed if a high-end graphics card used but don't quote me on that.

May 22, 2015 4:14 AM in response to jcrooksie

Just to add....

Since either Lion or Mountain Lion was introduced, Logic's performance has suffered with each new OS release after which there are incremental Logic updates as well as small OS tweaks and updates that eventually get most problems solved. This has been such an ongoing issue that it is universally advised not to upgrade to the most recent OS until you check the boards and see what problems were created and if there are updates.

Common complaints:

Graphic problems

More CPU use

3rd Plugins are no longer compatible

System overloads on projects that previously played without problems

May 22, 2015 11:45 AM in response to Pancenter

Thanks Pancenter. Until December 2014 we were using OS X 10.6.8 and Logic 9.

We needed 4K support and newer Mac Pros, and took the plunge to Yosemite and Logic X after Logic X was available for 17 months and had been through several incremental updates. This transition was made with an expectation of some issues, but I am not exaggerating when I say that over 40 person hours (engineers and programmers) have been spent trying to resolve Logic X issues, many of which stem from GUI behavior.

I agree that Logic X does not seem to represent a complete update that maximizes OS X 10.10 graphics.

I have been told that Apple plans to "fix" existing issues in 2015. Based on my use of the Logic X application many issues lead back to GUI bugs and screen drawing issues.

I am hoping in this thread to gather people's experiences of GUI performance. For example:

When selecting an audio track in the Main Window any open Score Editor redraws to include the entire score of the project. In big projects with many MIDI Regions this taxes the graphics of the machine and slows down performance significantly.

Opening the Library for External MIDI Tracks can lead to extremely long delays in screen redrawing

Edit Actions in the Piano Roll can crash Logic; same for MIDI Transforms

While these are bugs in their own right I think they all have a root cause in the graphics...

May 22, 2015 1:43 PM in response to jcrooksie

jcrooksie wrote:

When selecting an audio track in the Main Window any open Score Editor redraws to include the entire score of the project. In big projects with many MIDI Regions this taxes the graphics of the machine and slows down performance significantly.

Opening the Library for External MIDI Tracks can lead to extremely long delays in screen redrawing

Edit Actions in the Piano Roll can crash Logic; same for MIDI Transforms

While these are bugs in their own right I think they all have a root cause in the graphics...

There are other possible explanations although I suspect it comes down to logic's graphics programming being unable to directly access Mac OS graphics routines without an in-between software layer of some kind.

This bit of info goes way back:

One possible problem is that logic's audio engine and all related buffers shut down when the sequencer is not running. This is part of Logic's design going all the way back to early Logic versions. One advantage is that now you can setup scoring templates loaded with virtual instruments without any hit on the CPU as Logic tracks don't become "active" until a region with data is approached, the bad is, the heavier the project the more buffers Logic has to try and load once play is pressed, it's especially noticeable if playing one part of a large project... say at bar 30, then skipping ahead to bar 120, Logic hasn't buffered all data from that area yet. Most all other DAW's do not completely shut down the audio/MIDI engine when the sequencer is stopped. that's why there's always a CPU hit as the buffers are constantly being updated. Recent versions of Cubase offer both active and passive methods of buffering.

You've probably seen the "System Overload" message... depending on the system, as the sequencer approaches an area of several regions using virtual instruments and DSP plugins Logic will stop... what's happened is the buffers have become active and Logic is trying to load data buffers, activate efx plugins, read data off the disk...boom! System Overload There's a lot of data being moved in and out of RAM at this point and that affects Logic's performance. Scroll back and play the same area again and no problem as Logic has loaded all the buffers for that area.

Then there's the other problem of a channel strip being able to use only a single core, not sure how this is handled in other DAW's

Jun 2, 2015 10:20 AM in response to jcrooksie

Here's an example. Crash when undoing velocity draw in the Piano Roll. My hunch: Graphics:

Process: Logic Pro X [1385]

Path: /Applications/Logic Pro X.app/Contents/MacOS/Logic Pro X

Identifier: com.apple.logic10

Version: 10.1.1 (3683.37)

Build Info: MALogic-3683037000000000~3

App Item ID: 634148309

App External ID: 811655126

Code Type: X86-64 (Native)

Parent Process: ??? [1]

Responsible: Logic Pro X [1385]

User ID: 501

Date/Time: 2015-06-02 09:33:21.822 -0700

OS Version: Mac OS X 10.10.2 (14C1514)

Crashed Thread: 0 Dispatch queue: com.apple.main-thread

Exception Type: EXC_BAD_ACCESS (SIGSEGV)

Exception Codes: KERN_INVALID_ADDRESS at 0x0000000000000018

Application Specific Information:

objc_msgSend() selector name: transInst

Thread 0 Crashed:: Dispatch queue: com.apple.main-thread

0 libobjc.A.dylib 0x00007fff90e010dd objc_msgSend + 29

1 com.apple.AppKit 0x00007fff87ca8b19 -[NSView _drawRect:clip:] + 4238

2 com.apple.AppKit 0x00007fff87ca717a -[NSView _recursiveDisplayAllDirtyWithLockFocus:visRect:] + 1875

3 com.apple.AppKit 0x00007fff87ca757e -[NSView _recursiveDisplayAllDirtyWithLockFocus:visRect:] + 2903

4 com.apple.AppKit 0x00007fff87ca757e -[NSView _recursiveDisplayAllDirtyWithLockFocus:visRect:] + 2903

5 com.apple.AppKit 0x00007fff87ca5016 -[NSView _recursiveDisplayRectIfNeededIgnoringOpacity:isVisibleRect:rectIsVisibleRectFor View:topView:] + 913

6 com.apple.AppKit 0x00007fff87ca4773 -[NSThemeFrame _recursiveDisplayRectIfNeededIgnoringOpacity:isVisibleRect:rectIsVisibleRectFor View:topView:] + 333

7 com.apple.AppKit 0x00007fff87ca12cb -[NSView _displayRectIgnoringOpacity:isVisibleRect:rectIsVisibleRectForView:] + 2761

8 com.apple.AppKit 0x00007fff87c7fe2d -[NSView displayIfNeeded] + 1876

9 com.apple.AppKit 0x00007fff87c9d1c5 -[NSWindow displayIfNeeded] + 232

10 com.apple.logic10 0x0000000109ff08f6 std::vector<CTRow, std::allocator<CTRow> >::operator=(std::vector<CTRow, std::allocator<CTRow> > const&) + 359574

11 com.apple.AppKit 0x00007fff87b6e608 -[NSApplication run] + 711

12 com.apple.AppKit 0x00007fff87b59a14 NSApplicationMain + 1832

13 com.apple.logic10 0x0000000109fb6bf5 std::vector<CTRow, std::allocator<CTRow> >::operator=(std::vector<CTRow, std::allocator<CTRow> > const&) + 122773

14 libdyld.dylib 0x00007fff82b0f5c9 start + 1

Jun 2, 2015 2:22 PM in response to jcrooksie

Two "possible" plugin problems that I would look at first.

You're using Melodyne rewired to Logic? Do you have the latest version of Melodyne installed and the most recent version of Propellerhead's "Rewire". There's been other complaints regarding rewire behavior under the current Mac OS & Logic.

Also, Spectrasonics Amber latest version compatible with the OS you're running?

Jun 2, 2015 2:51 PM in response to Pancenter

Response:

1) The ReWire bus is active, to sync transport with a custom MIDI sequencer

2) Melodyne is not part of the ReWire pipe

3) Yeah, some Spectrasonics plugins may not be Yosemite-ready

4) I just tried to reproduce the crash, without success.

It's number 4 that makes these issues hard to track

5) Logic X crashes when editing in the Piano Roll, especially during MIDI Transform calculations.

Since the crashes share only (5) and not the possible conflicts in (1-4) I won't be trying too hard to repro this specific crash, removing tracks, and trying again.

But hey, Logic X users--any crashes like this??

Jun 2, 2015 3:02 PM in response to jcrooksie

I only mentioned melodyne as it seemed to be active.

Thread 9:

6 com.celemony.melodyne.rewiredevice 0x0000000127398096 RWDEFGetDeviceInfo + 8209507 com.celemony.melodyne.rewiredevice 0x0000000127372755 RWDEFGetDeviceInfo + 667029Thread 10:0 libsystem_kernel.dylib 0x00007fff87ac07ba sem_wait + 101 com.celemony.melodyne.rewiredevice 0x00000001272cfccd RWDEFGetDeviceInfo + 7812 com.celemony.melodyne.rewiredevice 0x0000000127372755 RWDEFGetDeviceInfo + 667029

Jun 2, 2015 7:18 PM in response to jcrooksie

Yes Jccrooksie, have same issues on 2009 MacPro as well as new 2014 black MacPro.

large scoring template (500+) consisting of various offboard midi, lots of audio and vep connections,etc.

Yosemite/LX introduced the same issues you describe. For us, biggest pain is incredibly slower undo.

WEnt to 10k rpm session drive and all ssd media drives. Helped a bit, but it all problems still ocurr.

FIngers crossed on next update.

Jun 2, 2015 7:46 PM in response to jcrooksie

1 opening score with representing more than 5 or 6 regions will corrupt screensets, stacking them as tiny windows.

2 LIbrary drawer seems fine (I do not use icons on existing tracks)

3 piano roll editing is ok.

undo is less slow if I do not assign anything to second monitor and size the arrange page to half size (unworkable scenario).

Indeed, all signs seem to point to poor graphics handling.

(btw, using nvidea 8800 with 30in cinema display and a new samsung 30)

Same setup was slick and fast pre LX/Yosemite

Jun 2, 2015 8:46 PM in response to mrl2

I do not experience the corrupt screensets. In our case selecting an audio track causes the Score Editor to redraw the entire project as a score, and that seems to drain graphics and slow all GUI interaction

We don't use track pictures, but the Library drawer for external MIDI tracks takes >15 seconds to open.

For sure using a single-screen setup or reducing the size of Logic windows does help, but, as you say, unworkable.

Your graphics card is better then the ones on most of our systems, but the most problematic setup here is with a Mac Pro 5,1 that has a pretty capable GPU built in (as well as a 4K monitor plus a Cinema HD display, so that's a lot of screen to draw)

We did not have these issues under 10.6.8/Logic 9.

Curious--were the projects yielding these issues on your end created in Logic X? We ported our templates over from Logic 9 and there's been some speculation about whether there's something from Logic 9 corrupting the Logic X graphics handling.

Jun 2, 2015 9:09 PM in response to jcrooksie

Started with L9 imports...problems. Then built from scratch..same problems. So what helped most on nehalem machine was upping to 32g ram/10k rpm session drive/ssd media drives, and THEN we rebuilt template from ground up again slowly. Most problematic were the Multi-Instrument Midi boxes in environment (about 40). They would crash the system after adding a few and cabling them. Kept backtracking and adding one at a time. Finally have template where we want it, but the performance is still lacking, particularly the undo (set to only 12 levels). We use an audio-only template to facilitate live recording/takes.

Interesting your external midi slows down drawer. If I delete all midi cabling/boxes to external, it speeds up undo and screensets quite a bit.

Might be apple telling us "stay in the box, kids"??

best of luck with your stuff!

Why does Logic place so much demand on system graphics resources?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.