Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How can I quit Siri once it's launched?

About once a day, I launch Siri accidentally (e.g., accidentally long-pressing the home button). Does anyone know how to quit out of Siri once it's launched? The only way I can get out of Siri is to wait (What can I help you with? --> not say anything --> wait for Siri to quit), which really *****.

iPhone 5s, iOS 8.3

Posted on May 21, 2015 6:30 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 10, 2017 3:38 PM

gageparker wrote:

A Long time ago in a galaxy far away, a company named Apple published a book called User Interface Guidelines. It was a manifesto of sorts that spelled out the differences between Apple's approach with the MAC vs. the crazy quilt jungle that was occurring in the Pre-Windows world dominated by the likes of WordPerfect and Lotus 123. Each was creating its own inconsistent interface that was making it difficult for regular people to learn to use Personal Computers. In that thin little book by Apple was a simple directive. All screens presented to a user should be "modeless." In other words there should be no screen without a clearly visible cancel or exit option.

Clearly not the case, as their entire iOS operating system is predicated on the fact that there is absolutely no exit button in any App or section in iOS.

To exit from an app or screen, the home button has been the go to option since it was first designed into the first iPhone and iPod Touch. There is no exit button on an iOS device, never has been.

The "modeless" design idea you erroneously reference refers to the fact that there should be no modes or statuses in screens you are viewing. i.e a screen will respond in the same way always to avoid "mode" errors. Or errors were the user may think that the window is in one status or expecting a specific input rather than something completely different.

Before calling someone a troll, I suggest you read up on what you are talking about, or you risk everybody thinking you are just trolling.

10 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 10, 2017 3:38 PM in response to gageparker

gageparker wrote:

A Long time ago in a galaxy far away, a company named Apple published a book called User Interface Guidelines. It was a manifesto of sorts that spelled out the differences between Apple's approach with the MAC vs. the crazy quilt jungle that was occurring in the Pre-Windows world dominated by the likes of WordPerfect and Lotus 123. Each was creating its own inconsistent interface that was making it difficult for regular people to learn to use Personal Computers. In that thin little book by Apple was a simple directive. All screens presented to a user should be "modeless." In other words there should be no screen without a clearly visible cancel or exit option.

Clearly not the case, as their entire iOS operating system is predicated on the fact that there is absolutely no exit button in any App or section in iOS.

To exit from an app or screen, the home button has been the go to option since it was first designed into the first iPhone and iPod Touch. There is no exit button on an iOS device, never has been.

The "modeless" design idea you erroneously reference refers to the fact that there should be no modes or statuses in screens you are viewing. i.e a screen will respond in the same way always to avoid "mode" errors. Or errors were the user may think that the window is in one status or expecting a specific input rather than something completely different.

Before calling someone a troll, I suggest you read up on what you are talking about, or you risk everybody thinking you are just trolling.

Jan 6, 2017 8:42 AM in response to Phil0124

what difference would it make (to have an exit button on the Siri screen)? One of the original principles of apple interface design was "no mode". Siri screen violates that principle by putting you in "Siri Mode". Similarly adjusting home key response using accessibility means I am adjusting how the home key responds for all functions not just Siri. Better would be a way to adjust Siri under settings. Finally my little brother, who is a tetraplegic and would be greatly helped by Siri, does not find it very easy to hit the home key. Pretty sure there are folks with less severe problems also having the same issues.

Jan 7, 2017 8:43 PM in response to gageparker

Not sure what you mean by Siri mode. To use Siri you need to activate it. To stop using it you press the home button once. That's it.

There is nothing to adjust in accessibility. You exit Siri just like any app on your device. There is no mode.

Unless what you mean is you activated VoiceOver in accessibility settings, which is different from Siri, and may in fact alter the way the system behaves. In Voice Over the Siri voice will speak any selected item or action in screen.

Jan 10, 2017 11:43 AM in response to Phil0124

A Long time ago in a galaxy far away, a company named Apple published a book called User Interface Guidelines. It was a manifesto of sorts that spelled out the differences between Apple's approach with the MAC vs. the crazy quilt jungle that was occurring in the Pre-Windows world dominated by the likes of WordPerfect and Lotus 123. Each was creating its own inconsistent interface that was making it difficult for regular people to learn to use Personal Computers. In that thin little book by Apple was a simple directive. All screens presented to a user should be "modeless." In other words there should be no screen without a clearly visible cancel or exit option. The Siri interface is a violation of that principle. That is why it is annoying. Apple new-found love for Easter eggs/Trap Doors/hidden tricks as well as your Hillary-esq "what difference would it make?" reply above, is no doubt adding to the revolutions per minute now occuring deep inside the Steve Jobs tomb. If you are going to reply to someone's query, make sure you really

understand what they are talking about first otherwise you are just trolling.

Jun 10, 2015 11:41 AM in response to churchill95

If you are getting the color switch, you are pressing it twice, or too fast so you get a second press. just press it once and let it go. Remove your finger from the home button after pressing it.

You seem to have some timing issues when pressing the home button. You don't need to hold it down, just click it, and let go.

You can also change the home button click speed in Settings->General->Accessibility->Home Click Speed. See if you get a more comfortable reaction time for it for double and triple clicks.

Mar 24, 2016 8:14 AM in response to DiMing87

What difference would it make. Press the home button once to exit Siri. A physical button or a virtual button you still have to press it. The difference is how you are pressing it. Press it once and let it go. Nothing more to it.

But if you want to give Apple Feedback do it here:

http://apple.com/feedback.

This is a user to user forum, and Apple does not read these posts.

How can I quit Siri once it's launched?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.