Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can I set-up Airport Extreme with iPhone Only

My mother does not have a new iMac (very old iMac and operating system, too). If she buys an iPhone, can she then buy an Airpot Extreme and set up the wi-fi using the iPhone only?

Posted on May 21, 2015 5:00 PM

9 replies

May 22, 2015 2:09 PM in response to Sarafina

We seem to have skipped something here.. go back to the original question.

If she buys an iPhone, can she then buy an Airpot Extreme and set up the wi-fi using the iPhone only?

We answered YES.. if she buys an iphone .. then the airport utility is available for iOS and she can administer the airport from iphone. The Mac can use the wireless of the latest airport.. it cannot administer it .. which is irrelevant.

Are you saying mum is no longer buying an iphone.. why does she need a new airport then??

If you want wireless and no iphone.. do not buy an apple router.. buy another brand.. all brands on the market except apple use browser for setup. The oldest mac with a standard browser can setup the very latest wireless router. It is only Apple who make sure you have to buy new products all the time.

May 22, 2015 2:23 PM in response to LaPastenague

Thanks, and I do apologize for being a little dumb. Yes. Mother is buying an iPhone. She only wants WI-FI so that she will be ale to control a small security camera (Belkin) via the iPhone. She is handicapped and wants to at least point the little camera at the front door to see who is standing there. So, you are saying she ONLY needs an Iphone and an Airport Extreme and she is good to go? Where would the Airport Extreme plug into? Thanks for your patience. I'll send crab from Alaska if your next reply works!

May 22, 2015 2:45 PM in response to Sarafina

I'll send crab from Alaska if your next reply works!

Crab jerky might work.. but smell of the crab by the time it reaches Australia.. might be off putting.. 🙂

Does she have internet? If so you plug the extreme into the main router.

If she has no internet.. then you can run the airport stand alone.. it is a bit more tricky to setup but perfectly possible.

However.. a Belkin camera might work better with a standard wireless router.. and that can still be managed from the iphone. You certainly want the camera to be able to run video to the phone and I would be more concerned about that.. the networking of it should be easy enough.

You are buying a Rolls-Royce router to do the job a VW can do as well.

Can I set-up Airport Extreme with iPhone Only

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.