Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Time Capsule 3TB - Time Machine use with multiple iMacs

I set up a new AirPort Time Capsule 3TB and backed up my iMac using Time Machine. Now I want to back-up the other iMacs in my office. When I went to the second iMac to do the initial back-up I eventually reached the following message. I don't understand the question being asked. Does this mean it will replace my data from the first iMac I backed up?

The second iMac has never been backed up due to lack of space on my old 500GB Time Capsule (2009).

User uploaded file

iMac, OS X Mavericks (10.9), Magic mouse

Posted on May 21, 2015 6:33 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 21, 2015 7:18 PM

The second iMac has never been backed up due to lack of space on my old 500GB Time Capsule (2009).

It would not normally give that message unless TM has been setup previously.. but just select replace.. it is not going to replace your other iMac.. it is replacing destination for the backup of this iMac.. and will be fine.

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 21, 2015 7:18 PM in response to nfotx

It would not normally give that message unless TM has been setup previously.. but just select replace.. it is not going to replace your other iMac.. it is replacing destination for the backup of this iMac.. and will be fine.

May 21, 2015 7:32 PM in response to nfotx

The second iMac has never been backed up due to lack of space on my old 500GB Time Capsule (2009)

But....this message would not even appear unless the iMac "thinks" that it had backed up previously to the old Time Capsule....or you may have told it to back up to the old Time Capsule, but it has not done so yet.

The message is asking if you want the iMac to backup to both Time Capsules ( both Time Capsules each have a drive named "Data") or whether you want to replace the old Time Capsule as a backup target with the new Time Capsule as a backup target.

Choose Replace and all will be well.

Time Capsule 3TB - Time Machine use with multiple iMacs

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.