Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

how to print text messages from an iPhone 4S

I need to print text messages from a specific phone number to my phone... the messages are still on my phone. I need a copy for court and not sure how to get them off the phone or if it is even possible...?

iPhone 4S, iOS 8.3

Posted on May 21, 2015 6:27 PM

5 replies

Jun 19, 2015 11:13 AM in response to Mac Raddy

These steps are only helpful if you have a web enabled printer, if you do great, if you don't, replace air printing with emailing and print off a laptop.

1. Copy the text messages and paste into notes.
  2. Finish the "note" and press the export icon
  3. Select print(or email) and follow directions, select your printer and print

or if you need to prove who the text is from screenshot the text message by holding the power and home button for a few seconds and print or email the photo

Aug 17, 2015 8:57 PM in response to Mac Raddy

There are two common way to print text messages from iPhone:

1. Take a screen-shot for your iPhone text messages, but I think this way is not so suitable for printing lots of text messages on your iPhone or you will read the photos with difficulty.

2. Transfer text messages from iPhone to computer as a HTML/CSV or other format file

Then, you can print them out as a file if you have connected your computer to printer. Thus, as you can see, the second one is more useful.

Aug 19, 2015 12:17 AM in response to Tootie914

Thank you!! I did what you suggested and successfully took a screen shot and pasted it into a NOTE, which I can now email to myself and then print.

I needed a little help after I followed your instructions in order to paste the screen-shot into my NOTE. Fortunately, my son was here and helped me. In the unlikely event that there are other tech-challenged individuals, like me, out there who need a little further instruction, I thought I would send the play-by-play necessary to complete the process.

For continuity sake, I will start at the beginning, repeating your most-helpful instructions:

1. Pull up your text message, choose the screen you wish to save, and press the power button plus the main button at the bottom of your iPhone simultaneously. You will quickly hear the picture-taking sound, indicating your screen-shot is taken.

2. Open your NOTES app, create a new NOTE, and name it (by typing a word or two at the top of the NOTE). NOTE names are usually automatically created from the first few words, or the first line of, the NOTE, itself, but not during this process.

3. For your first screen-shot, tap the screen, anywhere. Options will appear, including "Paste" and "Insert Photo." Both will cause your screen-shot to appear in your NOTE; however, I discovered a different benefit, unique to each option.

a. Selecting "Paste" is, by far, the quickest way to get your text-message screen-shot into your NOTE. However, if your text is very lengthy, this may, ultimately, be a much slower option. For a text requiring many, separate screen-shots, it is easier and faster to take all your screen-shots back to back, one after the other and then paste them, individually, into your NOTE. This avoids the needs to stop after each screen-shot, open NOTES, paste, then re-open the text again and again. Doing it all at once is much more efficient.

b. After all your screen-shots are taken, open the NOTES app, create and name a new NOTE. For adding the first screen-shot to your NOTE, you can tap the screen anywhere, then select "Insert Photo" from the mini-menu. Your photos will appear as; "All Photos" and "Moments;" both contain your screen-shots, so either option is fine. Tap the screen-shot you want to put in your NOTE, then select, "Choose," from the next screen (lower right corner). Wallah!! Repeat this process until the entire text message is copied into your NOTE.

4. Tap the middle icon at the very bottom of your completed NOTE screen; there are three, all very light orange. Mail the NOTE to yourself, and print it, or, if you have the ability to print from directly from your phone, select "Print.".

***WORD OF CAUTION (READ THIS BEFORE YOU BEGIN):

Be aware that the name of the Contact you were texting with will show itself in each and every screen-shot. If necessary, or preferable, change it before you begin this process. For example, my texts were from my ex, who I had listed in my contacts as "Mr. Charming." I am printing our messages for court, and I do not want the judge to see this. I fear it may leave an unfavorable impression as to my maturity and civility in this legal matter, which affects my alimony. I am certain Mr. Charming will be asking the judge to Order me to pay his attorney fees, if the case goes his way. I do not want to risk the appearance that I have been been antagonistic and uncooperative, forcing a matter into court that could have been settled personally, without the fuss and expense of court. Something else to take note of is that each text message copied into a NOTE includes a date/time stamp. You may be able to edit these things out, if you find it preferable to do so. I haven't gotten that far.

I apologize for the painstakingly elaborate instructions. I am old, and this stuff just doesn't come naturally to me. I am guessing there are others out there who need things spelled out, step-by-step. I am VERY happy for the help and for now knowing that I print my text messages. Thanks, again!

how to print text messages from an iPhone 4S

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.