Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

avi to quicktime conversion

was given a drive w/ avi files that are dv-pal that i need to edit in fcp7. when i import them fcp recommends i use media manager to convert the files. is there any advantage to converting to prores or dvcpro50 or just leave them as dv? thanks.

Mac Pro, Mac OS X (10.6.8), final cut pro 7.03 w/aja kona3

Posted on May 21, 2015 10:04 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 21, 2015 10:33 PM

Well, you have to convert from AVI, as FCP doesn't work with AVI. IF they are DV AVI files, then you can convert them to DV Quicktime files, or DV50 Quicktime. If Compressor doesn't work, try MPEG STREAMCLIP for this. And no, you'll gain no quality in going ProRes...only file size.

So...DV/NTSC Quicktime, or DV50.

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

May 21, 2015 10:33 PM in response to methenyhead

Well, you have to convert from AVI, as FCP doesn't work with AVI. IF they are DV AVI files, then you can convert them to DV Quicktime files, or DV50 Quicktime. If Compressor doesn't work, try MPEG STREAMCLIP for this. And no, you'll gain no quality in going ProRes...only file size.

So...DV/NTSC Quicktime, or DV50.

avi to quicktime conversion

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.