Newsroom Update

Beginning in May, a special Today at Apple series titled “Made for Business” will offer small business owners and entrepreneurs free opportunities to learn how Apple products and services can support their growth and success. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Server 4.1 lost track of ServiceData Location - all Calendar data gone

I upgraded to 10.10.3 from 10.9.5 and to OS X Server.app 4.1 two days ago.

Everything seemed fine, until about an hour ago when I noticed my shared Calendars had gone offline.

Using Server.app I turned the Calendar feature off & on a few times but it would get hung up on "Starting" so I finally rebooted the server.

Lo and behold, Calendar started up, but ALL MY CALENDAR DATA IS GONE. When I connect to the calendars, they all are blank, having only a single "calendar" calendar inside them. It really looks like the Calendar service has just created blank empty ones. Not good, not good at all.

Clue 1: My setup is pretty conventional, except I do have my Service Data on a second external drive (instead of the boot drive). When I went to look at that setting in Server.app(Seettings/Service Data:) instead of showing the name of the external drive, it shows "Custom..." That's odd.

Clue 2: I took a look at the Calendar and Contacts Error Log file and I see errors like this:

2015-05-21 19:09:54-0700 [-] [caldav-1] Missing configuration file: /Volumes/Server/Library/Server/Calendar and Contacts/Config/caldavd-user.plist

That's odd, since my service data has always been located at /Volumes/Server/ServiceData/ not /Volumes/Server/Library/Server

Note: "Server" is the name of my external drive.

What seems like is happening is that Server.app is confused about where my external ServiceData is located.

I'm not panicking just yet : the good news is I have TimeMachine backups of both my Boot drive and my external drive, going back in time more than a week (well before I updated to Server 4.1).

My plan is this:

1. Figure out which plist or configuration file tells Server.app where my ServiceData is located.
  2. Trash Server.app
  3. Reboot
  4. Restore my ServiceData folder from a backup before I updated to Server 4.1 / 10.10
  5. Manually edit the plist with the correct path to my ServiceData folder
  6. Install Server.app

I'm stuck on step 1 : where is the "ServiceData" path stored?

MacBook Pro with Retina display, OS X Mavericks (10.9.5)

Posted on May 21, 2015 7:30 PM

1 reply

May 21, 2015 8:42 PM in response to xmddmx

I tried a different approach, and things got worse!

1. Using Server.app / Settings / Service Data / Edit: I set my service data location to my external drive. This did a big copy, which I suspect was junk, but that doesn't matter.
  2. Deleted Server.app
  3. Using TimeMachine, restored /Library/Server/ from a 10.9 / Server 3.x backup
  4. Using TimeMachine, copied my old /Volumes/Server/ServiceData to the new location /Volumes/Server/Library/Server
  5. Rebooted
  6. Reinstalled Server.app 4.1

Results:

Not only are my calendars empty, now I've also lost all Users & Groups settings!

Clearly either I don't understand where OS X Server stores it's data, or the Server.app itself is still confused about where the data belongs.

Clue #4: after the reboot, Server.app/Settings/Service Data: is back to showing "Custom" as the location. Before the reboot id showed the name of my external drive.

Server 4.1 lost track of ServiceData Location - all Calendar data gone

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.