Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

My photos are not arriving to my mac pro from my iPhone in photos for mac

My photos are not arriving to my mac pro from my iPhone in photos for mac.

This is my main question:

On my Mac Pro

system preferences…

ICloud drive is unchecked. Is there a way to have photos in photos for my mac and not elect to use the entire iCloud Drive on my desktop for now? I have a lot of document deleting to do and want to start clean.

The rest of the story:

I switched to the iCloud Photos for Mac at the end of April. (I was in a hurry and under the assumption I was upgrading my present iCloud situation. I didn’t realize I was CHANGING the location of my photos. My mistake.) The last time I turned on Photos for Mac on the desktop was May 1. The iPhone6 photos up to May 1 are appearing in Photos for Mac on my Mac Pro. I don’t recall any issues on my Mac Pro uploading those photos.

I went out of town and upon arriving home have realized this issue. I want my iPhone6 photos to magically appear on my Mac Pro like they have for eons in the old iPhoto. And… like they did when I signed up for Photos for Mac.

There are no new photos showing in Photos for Mac on my desktop. They just stop at May 1 even though I took a lot of phone photos on the trip.

I see at the bottom of Photos for Mac it reads:

31,688 photos, 51 videos

(I’m not sure why it reads 51 videos. I don’t take many. Can these be tv shows and film rentals?)

Uploading 21,000 items

(This number keeps changing. At one point it went down to 1,500. Don’t understand this…)

On my Mac Pro

system preferences…

ICloud drive is unchecked. Is there a way to have photos be in the cloud and not sign up for the “Drive” on my desktop for now? I have a lot of deleting to do and want to start clean.

Photos is checked, and all of the options are checked as on

On my iPhone6

Settings

iCloud

ok… iCloud drive is checked On here… (?)

photos checked on

-icloud photo library is checked on

-download and keep originals is on

-upload to my photos stream is on

-icloud photo sharing is on

backup checked on

When I had the old iPhoto, the speeds were the same yet the iPhone6 photos appeared on my mac within a few minutes of opening iPhoto.

Mac Pro and iPhone6 are on the same Wifi

ping 15ms

download speed

112.16 mps

upload speed

5.65 mps

OSX Yosemite

Mac Pro

I have 548.25 of free GB space.

Iphone 6

8.3 (12F70)

storage used: 75 GB

storage available: 39.30 GB

iCloud:

1 TB Plan

Available: 923GB

(there is a plan to grow into this.)

Thanks so much!!

Power Mac G5, Mac OS X (10.4.8)

Posted on May 21, 2015 6:09 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 22, 2015 12:42 PM

So much information it's hard to know where to start, so I'll offer some pointers...

1. iCloud Drive is for your documents; It has nothing to do with Photos or iCloud Photo Library, so take that off the table for this discussion;

2. Your Photos Library has not yet finished uploading to iCloud Photo Library, which inhibits some of the syncing functions;

3. Uploading and then downloading a 31k library will take many, many days; do not power down your Mac at night and leave your iPhone connected to your charger at night;

4. The upload from Mac to iCloud Photo Library goes faster if you are not also downloading all the images at full resolution to your iPhone at the same time; please consider turning iCloud Photo Library sync off on the iPhone until the upload is completed;

5. There's very little need to keep full resolution images on the iPhone; set your preferences to keep an Optimized library on the iPhone and full-resolution "originals" on your Mac;

6. To ensure your newer photos are copied to Photos, connect your iPhone via USB to your Mac, launch Photos and Import all images manually; don't erase them from the iPhone yet "just in case";

7. My Photo Stream and syncing in Photos should work just as it did in iPhoto; if it doesn't, check your settings to be identical on all devices (although it might just be an issue resulting from the uploading/downloading described above);

However...

8. Once iCloud Photo Library is set on all devices, My Photo Stream and syncing thru iTunes is refunding and should be turned off;

11 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 22, 2015 12:42 PM in response to Dawgs Awalkin

So much information it's hard to know where to start, so I'll offer some pointers...

1. iCloud Drive is for your documents; It has nothing to do with Photos or iCloud Photo Library, so take that off the table for this discussion;

2. Your Photos Library has not yet finished uploading to iCloud Photo Library, which inhibits some of the syncing functions;

3. Uploading and then downloading a 31k library will take many, many days; do not power down your Mac at night and leave your iPhone connected to your charger at night;

4. The upload from Mac to iCloud Photo Library goes faster if you are not also downloading all the images at full resolution to your iPhone at the same time; please consider turning iCloud Photo Library sync off on the iPhone until the upload is completed;

5. There's very little need to keep full resolution images on the iPhone; set your preferences to keep an Optimized library on the iPhone and full-resolution "originals" on your Mac;

6. To ensure your newer photos are copied to Photos, connect your iPhone via USB to your Mac, launch Photos and Import all images manually; don't erase them from the iPhone yet "just in case";

7. My Photo Stream and syncing in Photos should work just as it did in iPhoto; if it doesn't, check your settings to be identical on all devices (although it might just be an issue resulting from the uploading/downloading described above);

However...

8. Once iCloud Photo Library is set on all devices, My Photo Stream and syncing thru iTunes is refunding and should be turned off;

May 22, 2015 12:58 PM in response to Rysz

Thank you Rysz,

I was so confused. This clears up a lot.

If I do #4 will I lose any data? Does this just pause one job while another is finishing?

#8 I don't understand the phrase "... synching thru itunes is refunding and should be turned off..." autocorrected? *redundant? If so... I understand.

Again, I really appreciate the explanation and your time. So grateful.

😁

May 22, 2015 1:05 PM in response to Dawgs Awalkin

Re #4:

If you turn off iCloud Photo Library on the iPhone, you'll likely gets warning that the already downloaded images will be deleted. That's OK. In reality, the images will still be on the iPhone unless you perform Restore or the storage is needed for something else. In this since, once you enable iCloud Photo Library, it will likely just resume where it was "paused."

To be absolutely safe, please perform item #6 first.

Jun 5, 2015 11:13 PM in response to Dawgs Awalkin

I've been waiting for an update from Apple regarding the Photos issues.

My photos on the Mac Pro and Ipad go to and from the cloud well.

The photos on my iphone6 don't. (unless I iMessage them to someone. Then they mysteriously appear in icloud.)

I manually added my photos once to my computer like was recommended in #6 above via the Apple cable,etc It went well.

Today I went to add the new photos again and nothing.... A bunch of gray boxes appeared and the library just hung like that for hours. I tried a restart, but the library won't close...??

There is a box that reads: Closing the Library...

I'm at a loss as to what to do. (I have about 400 new photos from the past two weeks.. please don't suggest I iMessage them all. lol)

My photos are not arriving to my mac pro from my iPhone in photos for mac

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.