Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Shared family content - can't install from iTunes.

HI, my wife has recently got an iPhone so I set up a family shared account so she could you same apps as I do. On first boot I copied some essential apps, like whatsapp, youtube, google maps etc from iTune, apps I already had on my computer. Now, after 2 days I wanted to add some more apps but iTunes keeps saying that files were not copied because the iPhone may contain only content from five Apple IDs. How could we even reach those five IDs when I only have one and my wife's the other.

IF I go to app store and open purchased from family members and choose myself, I can download those apps, using her mobile connection, thus waste of her mobile plan. If I try to copy same files from iTunes, I can't because of that error. What's wrong?

Posted on May 21, 2015 6:51 PM

15 replies

May 21, 2015 10:28 PM in response to svkrzn

In the Apps section of that computer's iTunes library, if you select one of those apps and do 'get-info' (control-I on a PC ; command-I on Mac), on the File tab on the popup they show your or your wife's id as 'purchased by' ? And the apps that you've already synced to her phone also only show your or your wife's id, they weren't downloaded by different accounts ?

May 22, 2015 1:23 AM in response to King_Penguin

My ID on every app. My wife's account is brand new, she never used it for purchases. As I said, I can download them from app store purchased list if she looks up under my list since hers is empty, but I can't sync those apps from itunes, what's the difference. Either way they belong to me. And the fun part of that is that I somehow managed to sync some apps at the begining.

Jun 3, 2015 6:33 PM in response to turingtest2

I have only one ID on my computer, which is the one I've shared. I tried to authorise it with my wife's phone plugged in and it says the same thing it has always been saying "including this one, you have authorised one computer out of X available".

I would have used Wi-Fi but I moved from Italy to Australia and I live relying on Mobile broadband connection without a wi-fi signal. So all the updates are either done on my mac or on my phone and then transferred to my mac during the sync.

Jun 6, 2015 8:23 PM in response to svkrzn

OK here is a small update: I have deleted my wife from family sharing and i removed her apple id from itunes and app store putting my instead. And still I'm getting the same error! My wife has an old ipad 3 wich is configured with 2 apple ids, onefir icloud which is hers and one for app store which is mine and now it's configured exactly like her iphone, but while I can add apps on her ipad, I can't do the same on her iphone!!

by the way, I've tried to transfer apps over wifi with same result.

Jun 7, 2015 12:25 AM in response to svkrzn

There isn't other content from other accounts on her phone (either downloaded directly on it from the stores or copied from a computer's iTunes) e.g. music, books, films, ringtones ? The number of accounts will apply to all content, not just those used for apps.

You could try resetting the phone back to factory defaults and restart from scratch with it. If you try that then first :

- copy any photos off that she wants to keep : Import photos and videos from your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch to your Mac or Windows PC - Apple Support

- and copy any important documents e.g. via file sharing, email, transfer via your wifi network, depending upon what the app that they are in supports.

Shared family content - can't install from iTunes.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.