Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Suggestions on RAID / Video Hard Drives

I am using a Mac Pro (circa 2012) with Final Cut Pro 7.

I am currently using an internal SATA drive to edit single camera video.

I am shooting multi-camera stuff and creating MultiClips and this drive just can't handle the streaming of 3-6 cameras.

I'm looking into a solution to where I can edit smoothly.

I know nothing about RAID drives.

I'm looking into pre-configured RAID drives but also have 2 other older mac pro's in my studio I could possibly use over ethernet to spread out the footage?

Any suggestions on what to look for in preconfigured system?

I don't need a HUGE amount of space as I'll probably just keep current/active projects on it.

ANY help is appreciated.

Mac Pro, OS X Mavericks (10.9.5), 24 Gigs RAM. PCIe 424 sound card

Posted on May 21, 2015 10:09 PM

2 replies

Jun 26, 2016 8:59 PM in response to Dallas Kruse

Hey,

I would do:

buy additional HW - I'm personally using small LaCie drive. It's connected via TB (Thunderbolt) and contains 2x1T rotate drive. Easy setup - I am using Raid0 (it means both HDDs from that external device are interlaced - thus faster data). Please read more about it http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Standard_RAID_levels it will help you to better understand problematics of raids - nice pics are included!

So in R0 you'll get faster drive, BUT once one of the disk fails - you'll loose all data on that raid. So, I am working on the fast external drive & backup is going to separate drive! Once I'll loose either external or internal drive - I can (and I will) immediately copy data somewhere else (in order to have again 2 copies).

Another benefit you can replace these drives for much faster in future (today the ultimate solution are SSD drives - you can even buy them now https://www.lacie.com/intl/products/product.htm?id=10621 - but it's a bit pricy - at least for me).

I gave up on USB, as I bought it some years ago when there were no solution for 2 HDDs in one usb box (I'm speeaking about 2,5" drives as the 3,5" size is waste of money & most importantly - physical space!! - also energy, etc...). Also USB is VERY slow and no guys - not even 3.1 USB can beat TB2 or even TB3 😉

Of course there are much sophisticated solutions like connecting block device ( iSCSI, FC ), but it cost much more (licenses, HW itself) and I feel here that it would be waste of resources.

For using other MACs for raid - I wouldn't do that - ok, lemme explain what I have in my mind:

- I'd use Raid on each separately - as one unit (one drive export to somewhere else).

- I wouldn't use them as ANY members in one raid (not even 1, 5, 6, 10... doesn't matter) - the network there will simply have wery hight latency & besides the chance of data loss is quite high. Also other aspect as electricity (also for cooling), noise, etc...

- I'd use them as backup for my work.

So I hope now you'll have at least better picture for your solution, even if you'll use some other than I proposed 🙂

P.

Suggestions on RAID / Video Hard Drives

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.