Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How do I update iTunes 10.3 on my Windows 7 machine when the menu bar cannot be made to show and the library cannot be read because it was created by a newer version of iTunes?

I uninstalled a corrupted version of iTunes on my Windows 7 Professional machine and then attempted to reinstall iTunes 12.1.2. In two tries I got the message that the install was unsuccessful, try again. Then I installed iTunes 10.3 successfully. However, on launch, I got a message "the iTunes library cannot be read because it was created by a newer version of iTunes". On launch all I get is the dialog box indicating inability to read the library. The menu bar cannot be made to show using either "Alt" or "Control B".

Can anyone suggest how I can update 10.3 to the latest version of iTunes so my library can be read?

Thank you, Jack McMullen

Lenovo laptop runnng iTunes-OTHER, Windows 7

Posted on May 21, 2015 8:52 PM

1 reply

May 21, 2015 8:57 PM in response to Jack McMullen

Try the information in this user supplied tip. Troubleshooting issues with iTunes for Windows updates Turingtest2 knows what he is talking about when it comes to iTunes and Windows. You may have to go in first and remove all of the iTunes components using the instructions in this support document first, especially if you did not use it to remove them before. Remove and reinstall iTunes and related software components for Windows Vista, Windows 7, or Windows 8 - Apple Support

How do I update iTunes 10.3 on my Windows 7 machine when the menu bar cannot be made to show and the library cannot be read because it was created by a newer version of iTunes?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.