You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple ID, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Learn about all the features, apps, and settings to get the most from the Apple Watch and Apple Watch Ultra

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

The Apple Watch, Activity app and resting calories

I've found that the resting calories number in the Activity app is ridiculously exaggerated. I've outlined it in detail on my website here:

The Apple Watch and Resting Calories

In short, even though my data is correct in the Health app - age, sex, height and weight - the calculation the Activity app and Apple Watch show is very wrong. For me, resting calories should be around 1900-2000 calories a day; Apple counts more than 3000 resting calories.

User uploaded file

Is anyone else seeing this?

Posted on May 22, 2015 1:34 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on May 23, 2015 1:47 AM

I agree, resting calories seems odd. My understanding is that the resting calories should not vary, yet mine do by a large margin. Resting calories for me are just over 2000, as I understand it they basically mean the amount of calories I'd burn during a period at complete rest. I assume, maybe wrongly that the period is 24 hours. If this is the case, why do my resting calories change daily? Of course active calories will change, but why resting?

9 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

May 23, 2015 1:47 AM in response to kirkmc

I agree, resting calories seems odd. My understanding is that the resting calories should not vary, yet mine do by a large margin. Resting calories for me are just over 2000, as I understand it they basically mean the amount of calories I'd burn during a period at complete rest. I assume, maybe wrongly that the period is 24 hours. If this is the case, why do my resting calories change daily? Of course active calories will change, but why resting?

May 28, 2015 7:37 AM in response to kirkmc

When sleeping, your heart rate is about 8% lower. If you don't wear the Apple Watch when you sleep, could this be the cause of the Activity app's incorrect estimate of resting calories? Meaning, the Activity app presumably extrapolates a 24-hour calorie burn from only your waking resting heart rate as captured by your Apple Watch when you wear it. Maybe try sleeping with your Apple watch on and see what that does to the data. Consider, also, maybe it is actually more accurate than you think. Factor in that there can be periods of high calorie burn even during periods where you think you're resting. My heart rate can go up playing video games or at work when working out thorny problems. Try sifting through the heart rate data in the Health app to see if your heart rate was up more than you thought (it's captured every 10 seconds throughout the day while wearing the Watch). The brain burns a lot of calories, too, when it lights up (and brain activity can increase heart rate, I'm not sure of the exact correlation, but that would be captured by the Apple Watch).

May 28, 2015 7:40 AM in response to ChiTownDude22

You're misunderstand what resting calories are. They are another term for BMR, or basal metabolic rate. It has nothing at all to do with activity; it's the amount of calories your body would burn if you were a vegetable. It has nothing to do with your heart rate; it is based on age, height, and weight. It's an imperfect calculation, but one that is widely used as an estimated benchmark.

And the Apple Watch is supposed to record your heart rate every ten minutes, not every ten seconds, but that's currently broken in the 1.0.1 update.

May 28, 2015 10:17 AM in response to kirkmc

Well, resting calories are not another term for BMR, if anything, they are a totally separate calculation, called RMR. BMR only deals with your metabolism while you're awake (look it up), but who knows what Apple means by "resting calories." I know your metabolism and its related calorie burn has nothing to do with heart rate, but what I'm saying is that maybe there are calories being burned on top of your metabolism, like when you are sitting down but playing a crazy video game or watching a scary movie, not working out (running, biking, elliptical, etc), and that is what Apple is adding on top and calling resting calories. Why else would it vary from day to day?

May 28, 2015 5:02 PM in response to kirkmc

My resting calories should be around 1500. The Activity app gives me around 2000 resting calories every day, so it's off by quite a lot.

On the other hand, active calories seem to have the opposite problem and are greatly underestimated. Some people have reported getting numbers half of what they should be. In my experience, it's been about 2/3 of what it should be for most outdoor and indoor activities. The only one that's been close so far has been the stair-stepper, but if I remember correctly the 1.0.1 update corrected the calorie estimate for that type of exercise. However I can run 6 miles over 50 minutes and come out with 400 active calories. That certainly seems off by 50% (2/3 of what it should be).

The Apple Watch, Activity app and resting calories

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.