Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Setting the 5gHz Channel Manually Breaks Connections 6th Gen APE

I recently bought a 6th gen Airport Extreme, and have run into a very odd problem. I currently have two names set for my 2.4gHz and 5gHz networks. I set the 2.4gHz channel manually to 4, and all is well. However, whenever I assign a channel to the 5gHz network manually, no device can connect to it no matter the channel. Devices can see the network, but can't connect.

Where it gets weirder is that, if I let the APE set the 5gHz channel automatically, it sets to 132 and everything can suddenly connect. (You can't manually select that channel FYI.) I wanted to set it to 36 because no one in my building is using that channel at all.

Has anyone else run into this or, better yet, have a solution? Thanks.

Posted on May 21, 2015 11:08 PM

1 reply

May 21, 2015 11:16 PM in response to Ellfire

This tends to happen on European ones.. US ones no problem.. Australian ones no problem.. but Euro ones.. lots of people report this stuff.

Just keep with auto.. the airport is smart enough to choose the best channel and will usually make a good choice..

Also any channel is empty now might not be empty in an hour or tomorrow.. all routers are playing musical channels.. so just leave it auto.

Setting the 5gHz Channel Manually Breaks Connections 6th Gen APE

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.