Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can I hook an Express into my security DVR's ethernet output in order to retransmit the video wirelessly?

Can I hook an Express into my security DVR's ethernet output in order to retransmit the video wirelessly?

MacBook, iOS 8.3

Posted on May 22, 2015 3:35 AM

6 replies

May 22, 2015 5:48 AM in response to priusv

Yes, if you have already tested a direct Ethernet cable connection from the DVR's Ethernet port to your wireless router to confirm that the connection is operating correctly.

The AirPort Express will need to be located where it can receive a strong wireless signal in order to perform the service that you are asking about. The Express will "join" most wireless networks as long as the network is using standard wireless protocols.

Here, I am assuming that you will use one of the more recent AirPort Express versions, the A1264 or A1392 models.

May 22, 2015 6:25 AM in response to priusv

I would be hard wired to the Air Port from the DVR.

Understood. My answer assumed that you would be doing this.

What I was suggesting....and you may have already done this.....was first test using a direct Ethernet connection from the DVR to the wireless router to make sure that things will work that way.....before.....you install the Express.

May 22, 2015 2:00 PM in response to priusv

Just setup the Express exactly as the apple article says in wireless client mode..

You use wireless then to connect to the main router.. and ethernet to connect to the pvr.

It is often better to do this kind of setup in isolation.. ie plug the express LAN port into the computer.. run the airport utility.. setup wizard will help you get the correct settings.. it can also be extend wireless btw if you use an apple router for the main router in your house.. client mode is for non-apple router.

So either of those will work depending on the situation you already have.

Once the express works on the computer.. turn off the wireless in the computer and ensure you are working via the express as an ethernet to wireless bridge .. if it works.. unplug the express and plug it into the PVR.. you are done.

If it doesn't work make sure you follow all the settings details.. and start over.. factory reset and have another go.

This is not hard.. and it is easier to do than talk about. Do .. if you have problems in the doing.. ask specifically at the point it fails.

Tell us exactly what the main router is.. so we can help determine if you really need client mode or extend wireless.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.