Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to restore Mac without removing windows?

Hello Guys,

i've a MacBook Pro with the latest version of Yosemite & i've a partition for Widnows 8 too, now im planing to restore " Format " Mac OS without remove the Windows partition. is it posible? is yes plz tell me how? & Thank you ahead. 😁

Posted on May 22, 2015 2:19 AM

5 replies

Jun 2, 2015 2:18 PM in response to TarekHamadi0593

Hello guys out there!

I wanna send u my big thank's for help, I've solved my problem, which is i restored my OS without affect the Windows partition, i just entered to the Recovery mode by booting the Mac and press Command " cmd" + in the same time with letter " R " then choose Disk Utility and choose the partition of the Mac and click on Erase, then reboot the mac with holding button Option " alt " and choose the external Flash or HDD and start installing the Yosemite 🙂

Cheers,

iTarek

May 22, 2015 6:28 AM in response to TarekHamadi0593

When reinstalling the OS just select the partition that does not have windows on it. Easies way to do this is to have a bootable OS on a flash or hdd.

How to create a bootable http://www.macworld.com/article/2367748/how-to-make-a-bootable-os-x-10-10-yosemi te-install-drive.html

Once the bootable it made switch off the mac then plug the flash or hdd in. Press the ( alt or option key ) and power on. This will ask you from where you want to boot off. Go through the setup until it asks you where you want to install your Yosemite to. Select the partition that does not have windows installed on it.

Wait for the installation to finish and thats that.

If you do not erase the OS partition you will do an over the top installation and this will keep your current data on the device, if you want the clean install, erase the partition first and then run through the step above.

Good luck 🙂

D

May 22, 2015 10:17 AM in response to Dewald 0101

Hello Mr Dewald 0101

Thank you for your time and reply 🙂 i've got what u said, but i want to erase everything in Partition of the Mac and i want to make clean install, can i erase the partition of the Mac and then reinstall Yosemite without affect the windows? if yes that would be great and i'll be thankful to u <3 🙂 actually i'll give it a try later and reply u. Thank you again!

May 22, 2015 11:22 AM in response to TarekHamadi0593

Restart the computer and hold Command R to boot into the Recovery partition. Run Disk Utility and you’ll see two partitions - the first will be the Mac partition and the second will be the Windows partition. Select the Mac partition and select the Erase Tab and then click on the Erase button. This will erase the Mac partition leaving Windows alone.

How to restore Mac without removing windows?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.