Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How do I change iCloud id without losing the data in the cloud?

I changed the Apple id successfully for App Store & iTunes. When I start to sign out on iCloud I get a "you will lose everything in the cloud if you do this message".

So, what do I do? Download the iCloud contents then upload into the "new" cloud?

MacBook Pro, Mac OS X (10.7.5), iPhone 6+

Posted on May 22, 2015 7:58 AM

5 replies

May 22, 2015 8:02 AM in response to barcecil

If you changed the Apple ID email address that the iCloud account is associated with, and you just want to sign on that updated Apple ID to your iCloud account, you don't need to worry about the messages. When you sign the updated Apple ID email on to iCloud, it will sync back all iCloud items.

If you set up a brand new Apple ID, rather than updating the existing one, that is a different matter.

Cheers,

GB

May 22, 2015 9:49 AM in response to gail from maine

Thanks for the response. 🙂

I did set up a brand new Apple ID. I backed up all the iCloud drive files to an external hard drive then went through all the "sure you want to do this?" drop-downs. Logged back in with the new Apple id. All the doc items synced as expected. Went to >finder>go>iCloud drive and the files that i sent to the external hard drive showed up without my copying them back!

Did I not need to download them before "signing out" on the old Apple id?

(Have not gotten to the iPhone yet!) 😐

Thanks again!

May 22, 2015 10:49 AM in response to barcecil

I'm not really familiar with the iCloud Drive, sorry.

However, you need to be aware that:

- All purchases you made with your previous ID will be tied to that ID forever

- Contacts, calendars, bookmarks, mail messages, notes, shared photo albums, iCloud Photo Library beta, My Photo Stream are tied to the iCloud account, so wouldn't transfer to the new iCloud account with the exception of any that you told iCloud to keep on your Mac (or your Device) when signing out of the original account.

Did you intend to have a totally new, separate account? Because if all you were doing was changing the Apple ID email address, you can do that via Manage your Apple ID and continue to retain the same account.... Apple - My Apple ID

BTW - the original iCloud info will still be out there. If you want to, say, re-create your contacts on your new iCloud account, you can go to iCloud.com and open the Contacts so you have a point of reference.

So, if you did not select the "Keep on My Mac" option as you were signing out of that old account, you can always sign it off again and then sign back off and tell it to Keep whichever items it allows you to keep. Then, when you sign on your new account and turn on the various options for iCloud syncing, it should ask if you want to Merge the information for that option - select Merge to get that info pushed up to the new iCloud account.

Cheers,

GB

How do I change iCloud id without losing the data in the cloud?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.