Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How secure is iOS?

I understand that the content are encrypted in iOS 8.

But does it exist any tool for the police to unlock my unit without using the passcode?

I bet NSA can unlock everything, but I'm not talking about that level of investigation.

I heard that a dealer unlocked an iPhone 5 where the owner had forgotten his code, but this may have been on iOS 6.

I hope this is not true, as it undermines the whole thing about encryption and security.

So, how secure is iOS?

iPad (4th gen) Wi-Fi + Cellular (MM), iOS 8.3

Posted on May 22, 2015 6:16 AM

7 replies

May 22, 2015 6:22 AM in response to Burgomatic

The only legitimate way of using the iPhone with a forgotten passcode is to erase its content and restore the device from a backup.

Forgot passcode for your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch, or your device is disabled - Apple Support

I bet there're some tricks that make it possible to bypass this security feature, however, I am not sure they can be officially used by the police or any other organisation.

In any case, we are not allowed to discuss such things at this forum.

May 22, 2015 6:39 AM in response to D.Cohen

Yes...that's my point. Forgetting the passcode can be solved by restoring the device Given the numbers of people posting here who seem unable to keep this piece of information in their heads, this is just as well. But your content and the useability of the phone is still protected by your iCloud account password if your phone should fall into the wrong hands. So no compromising of secuirity is taking place.

May 22, 2015 9:44 AM in response to Burgomatic

The reason AKRBTN brought up iCloud is that, if you're concerned about someone restoring the iPhone and getting access to the device, that's where iCloud's Find My iPhone feature comes in. Find My iPhone includes a feature called Activation Lock, which is turned on automatically when you set up Find My iPhone. With Activation Lock, your Apple ID and password are required before anyone can erase and reactivate your device. Without the password for your iCloud's Activation Lock, the phone becomes a paperweight and no one, not even the NSA, can change that.

iCloud: Activation Lock

How secure is iOS?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.