Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Macbook Pro retina Battery health

Hi everyone, It have been days now searching through the net trying to find the best ways to keep my mac's battery healthy.

but the questions I truly needed the answers to are :

can i keep my mac plugged in while I'm working on it and the battery is 100% charged already ?

if i started working on my mac at 50% battery, should i plug in the charger, let the battery charge full and remove the charger ? or can I keep it plugged in even when it reaches 100% ?

After answering these questions, I would like if anyone can tell me all the ways to keep a MBP retina battery healthy ?

Thank you, and have a good day

MacBook Pro with Retina display, OS X Yosemite (10.10.3)

Posted on May 22, 2015 8:17 AM

5 replies

May 22, 2015 8:28 AM in response to insotman

Don't overthink the issue. Your battery will stay healthy if you do two simple things:

1) Use the computer on battery power at least a couple of times a week.

2) Avoid running the battery to zero charge. Sometimes this cannot be helped and the occasional "run-down" will not do perceptible harm. However, routinely running to zero charge will damage the battery. I recharge at 15-25 percent charge remaining.

You have a "smart" battery system. It will not allow itself to overcharge. Once it reaches 100 percent you can ignore it, as long as you remember item 1 above.

May 22, 2015 11:13 AM in response to insotman

insotman wrote:

So when the battery is full, the MBP will actually start getting the energy from the charger and ignore the battery ?

Yes, until the battery charge drops to about the 95% level and then it will again provide power to the MBP and charge the battery. This cycle will be repeated as long as the charger is connected.

Here are Apple support articles regarding batteries and their usade:

https://www.apple.com/support/macbookpro/batteries_power/

Ciao.

Macbook Pro retina Battery health

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.