Newsroom Update

Apple is introducing a new Apple Watch Pride Edition Braided Solo Loop, matching watch face, and dynamic iOS and iPadOS wallpapers as a way to champion global movements to protect and advance equality for LGBTQ+ communities. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

how to sync iPad 3 with iTunes 10.7?

I just bought a "new" refurbished iPad 3 from the Apple store and am trying to set it up for the first time. My goal is to restore it from a backup of my old iPad, per the Apple specs, the new iPad should also run on the same iOS version, so in theory, restoring from a backup should save the trouble of manually setting it up and reloading all my apps.

but, I can't even get to that point ... it won't connect to iTunes to even attempt the restore ...

The specs for the iPad 3 show that it requires iTunes 10.6 or later ... I have iTunes 10.7 as I prefer it over the newer versions, but when I connect the iPad, iTunes gives me a warning message that iTunes 11.1 is required ... how do I get around this?

I tried resetting / restoring the iPad from the Apple website, and it loaded some version of iOS 6, which also should be compatible with iTunes 10.7, but when I connect, same message, it wants iTunes 11.1. Again, it is still not allowing me to manually set up the iPad, it is forcing me to connect to iTunes, which I can't do.

I seem to be in a viscous-cycle ... Is there a way to force install the original default iOS to the iPad 3 so that I have a starting point? Thanks in advance for any ideas.

iPad (3rd gen) Wi-Fi + Cellular, iOS 6

Posted on May 22, 2015 8:24 AM

2 replies

May 23, 2015 4:21 AM in response to Briansyddall

Thanks for the idea, but I don't use iCloud as I prefer to keep my data secure locally. It's a moot point though as my old iPad can't run later than iOS5. After spending some time on this problem, I learned that even though the iPad 3 can run iOS5 and iOS 6, Apple shipped mine with iOS7, but you don't know that until after you set it up, but you can't set it up without iTunes, etc. I don't like this intrusive "check in with the the mother ship" set-up process they impose ... too bad they don't simply have the device be able to work right out of the box.

In any event, since Apple does not sanction downgrading to older versions of the iOS, the only quick work-around was to install iTunes 11.1.x on another computer, finish set-up of iPad 3, backup and transfer purchases from old iPad to that computer, then sync the "new" iPad 3 with it. This is similar to the pain of going from Windows XP directly to Windows 7, however, no such issues with the Apple OSX ... you'd think Apple would make the iOS migration process more user-friendly as they do for OSX.

how to sync iPad 3 with iTunes 10.7?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.