Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Change CPU Thermal paste on my Macbook Pro

Hello everyone,

I really need to find a very nice (and professional) place for clean my macbook pro, also clean the fans, and change the cpu thermal paste, where I can do that?

If you can help me, I really appreciate that.

Best Regards

Claudio

iPad 2, iOS 8.3

Posted on May 22, 2015 7:54 AM

3 replies

May 22, 2015 8:22 AM in response to claudioiturraulloa

"Where can I..." questions are very hard to answer without knowing where you are. It doesn't help you much if I recommend a shop in California but you live half-way around the world from there.

Why do you want to change the thermal paste? Overheating? Often, overheating can be remedied by finding and correcting software issues that are causing the computer to run hotter than normal.

May 31, 2015 8:16 AM in response to claudioiturraulloa

Thank you. Again, it is far more likely you have some incompatible software that is raising temps than failed thermal paste, so it behooves you to see what is at play on the software side. Otherwise, you could spend a lot of money and still have overheating.

Two options:

1) Follow the instructions in this Apple article:

Apps can affect Mac performance, battery runtime, temperature, and fan activity - Apple Support

NOTE! Step 2 is critical to success with this test.

I only run the test after the computer has been running for a day or so. Running the test immediately after a restart doesn't show all the possible troublemakers, The article says to look for processes using more than 70 percent of the CPU cycles but, in my experience, anything using more that about 15-20 percent--assuming you've quit any applications you have launched--are also suspect.

2) Please download and install this free utility:

http://www.etresoft.com/etrecheck

It is secure and written by one of our most valued members to allow users to show details of their computer's configuration in Apple Support Communities without revealing any sensitive personal data.

Run the program and click the "Copy report to clipboard" button when it displays the results. Then return here and paste the report into a response to your initial post. It can often show if any harmful files/programs are dragging down your performance or causing heating.

here we don't have places for maintains ours macbooks,

Yes you do: There is an Apple Retail Store in Newark, Delaware:

http://www.apple.com/retail/christianamall/

I've driven acros Delaware; it's not so far considering the closest Apple Store I have is 100 miles away in Washing State.

Change CPU Thermal paste on my Macbook Pro

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.