Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

importing from iMovie library to iPhoto or Photos

I plan to have all my photos and videos in iPhoto or Photos rather than keeping the videos in iMovie. How can I import my videos from an iMovie library to iPhoto or Photos library? Do I have to export then reimport? Do I have to do that one file at a time?

Any help appreciated

MacBook Pro with Retina display, OS X Mavericks (10.9.4)

Posted on May 22, 2015 8:52 AM

10 replies

May 22, 2015 9:20 AM in response to an1980

iPhotos or Photos only hold complete movie files in their libraries. So you have to export your iMovie videos to file then import them into iPhoto or Photos. You can't use iPhoto or Photos to store iMovie projects that you are still editing or want to edit further in the future.

Geoff.

May 22, 2015 5:02 PM in response to GeeD

Yes. I just import my home videos from my videocam to iMovie (I have iMovie 10) and don't do any projects. They are just saved in the iMovie library (I think as events) and would like to have them in their chronological order in my Photos (or iPhoto) library. The reason I don't import them directly to iPhoto or Photos is that they are MOD format which is not recognized by iPhoto.

May 23, 2015 2:37 AM in response to an1980

So you are using iMovie just to transcode them. Apparently .mod files are actually mpeg and in some cases can be made 'acceptable simply by changing the extension to .mpg though this does not always work.

Have a look at the contents of your iMovie 10 library (right click > show package contents). In each event folder there will be an 'Original Media' folder. Do these files still have .mod extensions? If not you could try importing them into iPhoto/Photos, avoiding the need for exporting them.

Otherwise you need to find a way of converting them into a format that can be imported directly into iPhoto/Photos. If you google this you will find a load of paid third party apps that claim to be able to do this but you may be able to use free apps such as Mpeg Streamclip.

Maybe someone else more familiar with old movie formats can chime in here with details.

Geoff.

May 23, 2015 7:33 AM in response to GeeD

GeeD:

Great advice. They are actually MOV and I was able to import easily to Photos. My next question would be about the best way to geotag them during this process. Seems like iMovie doesn't geotag and Photos doesn't geotag -at least not yet-. My options would be:

1. Importing to iPhoto where I can geotag. I think I will have to export then import to Photos to have them in the same library with my other items.

2. Geotag them using another app then importing directly to my Photos library.

Please let me know what seems to be the easiest from your experience and what apps do u suggest?

May 28, 2015 5:41 AM in response to GeeD

Hi GeeD:

I intend to try importing directly from the iMovie library on a large scale (150 home videos). It maintained the date of the video whereas exporting the importing lost the date of the video. Am I expected to loose any info by doing that? I guess not if I haven't done editing on them. Please let me know if u r aware of any possible data loss.

May 28, 2015 7:37 AM in response to an1980

Yes, exporting them from movie would have given the files the date of the export. The 'original media' in the iMovie library should be just that (though it did change the extension in the case of your .mod files) so I don't think you will loose anything by importing them into an iPhoto or Photos library but I'm not sure. If you eventually want to delete the photos in your iMovie library, you need to make sure that Photos does not simply create links to them but actually copies them into its library. From this article:

http://admin.imore.com/how-import-images-and-folders-photos-os-x

it appears that the default for importing folders of images already in the computer is to create links and you need to modify Photos preferences.

Geoff.

importing from iMovie library to iPhoto or Photos

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.