Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Match playlist suddenly missing some songs

weird behaviour. I turned off iTunes Match on my iOS devices then switched back and one of my many smart playlists is missing a few songs. It's the purchased music smart playlist. Several songs are missing although they are on the iPhone and iPad song library! Weird. On the computer all songs are present in this play,it's and on the Apple TV I can see the entire playlist. So it's just the iOS devices not showing them. Seems to some of the older purchases (but not all) that are absent from the playlist. Not sure when it triggered but my computer did its weekly match sending info to apple this morning. For the sake of it I did another update iTunes Match just now to try and see if it made a difference but it hasn't. It's a huge playlist of all my bought songs so numbers over 700 but on the two iOS devices it shows only 600 so about one hundred are missing. It's not the end of the world as the songs are all on the iPhone and iPad but it's pretty annoying. I noticed the iTunes Store has been intermittently a bit wonky last couple days so it could be somehow related.

Posted on May 22, 2015 9:43 AM

2 replies

May 24, 2015 11:09 AM in response to Scottyboy99

ok i believe this is yet another iOS 8 glitch. I haven't switched match off on my iOS devices in a long time so I cannot be certain of it started happening circa iOS 8.2 or 8.3. iOS device is ignoring the full playlist of purchased songs to mirror iTunes. I believe the ones missing are because they have an iCloud status of 'matched' rather than 'purchased'. The reason I can see this is if I add an extra field to the playlist in addition to 'purchased is true' I see a difference. So add an extra filter of 'iCloud status is matched' then I see the playlist contains the missing 110 songs only. If the extra field I do as 'iCloud status is purchased' then I see the other 600 songs only. Of course I want the playlist to be based on one field 'purchased is true', this way iTunes displays 710 songs as I expect but on the iOS devices it only shows 600 of them. Kind of hard to explain but that's the difference/anomaly I am seeing.

now why are these different, well I am not sure but seeing as it predominantly affects older purchased songs from many years back I think it's DRM related. Older songs have DRM in them as they have been on my hard disk for years. I could delete these songs and re download them and as such I wonder if this could make a difference ie. These songs will then re download DRM free and have a new iCloud status of 'purchased' rather than 'matched'. Obviously i don't want to re download many many songs all over again. So I believe apple needs to address this glitch. Why can't iTunes Match on the iOS device just mirror the smart playlist instead of just ignoring these 110 songs. It is definitely an iOS 8 only issue as we have an older Apple TV (2nd gen on iOS 7) and this does not display the same anomaly. Having turned off and re enabled match on the Apple TV it happily displays all 710 songs on the purchased music smart playlist

its a bit of a faff to test or notice but wonder if others see similar or have this type of smart playlist to lend weight to my possible findings?

cheers

wayne

May 26, 2015 8:05 AM in response to Scottyboy99

Ok, deleting songs and re-downloading them doesn't seem to of worked. I still cannot get these 110 songs to show up in the 'purchased music' playlists on the iOS devices despite iTunes showing them perfectly. I remain convinced that the glitch is due to the iCloud status though. I thought a workaround would be to create another smart playlist referencing the purchased music playlist but that feature doesn't work for match.

So the question is, can I create another smart playlist to show my purchased songs somehow without having to put the rule 'Purchased music is true' in. Is there another critieria unique to purchased songs that sets them apart from cd uploaded or manually uploaded songs which I can use for a playlist. I believe this is the only chance to get this working for now, unless of course Apple addresses it in iOS 8.4 or iOS 9 which I'd imagine is unlikely.

Match playlist suddenly missing some songs

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.