Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Newsroom Update

Apple is introducing a new Apple Watch Pride Edition Braided Solo Loop, matching watch face, and dynamic iOS and iPadOS wallpapers as a way to champion global movements to protect and advance equality for LGBTQ+ communities. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Selecting "Update" in Recovery Mode?

My iPhone 6 Plus is stuck in an endless booting up/shutting down loop (with blue screen). It started last night while the device was sitting on the dock, completely unprompted by me. Tonight I am going to attempt to restore it to my last iTunes back up using Recovery Mode.

In reading the Recovery Mode article, I understand that clicking "Restore" erases all content on your iPhone, but what does clicking "Update" do?

I'm wondering what is the best option for me since I want to restore to my last back up before I started having this issue. Do I click "Restore" to wipe it clean, and if so, will I then be given the option to restore to my last back up?

Posted on May 22, 2015 10:03 AM

1 reply

May 24, 2015 10:29 AM in response to mjw2185

Hello mjw2185,

Thanks for visiting Apple Support Communities.

It sounds like your iPhone 6 Plus is restarting continually and you're planning on restoring it using Recovery Mode, but wonder about the "Update" option.

If you click "Update," iTunes will try to reinstall iOS without erasing your device. Updating as opposed to Restoring is a good troubleshooting step for a device that gets stuck during start up.

If you still see the same behavior after updating, restoring in Recovery Mode may still be necessary.

You can find this information here:

If your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch doesn't respond or doesn't turn on - Apple Support

All the best,

Jeremy

Selecting "Update" in Recovery Mode?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.