Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

2010 MacPro with no OS

I've replaced my 2010 MP with a new iMac. In order to completely clean the MP drive, I installed the drive in an external box attached to the iMac, wiped it clean, and reinstalled OS X 10.10.3 using the iMac. After installing the drive back into the MP, the MP won't start, I now assume because there are differences between OS installations for different Macs (Ooof!). What is the easiest way to get the proper version of OS back into the MP? I can physically connect the computers. Thanks

iMac with Retina 5K display, OS X Yosemite (10.10.1), Also MacPro and running OS X server

Posted on May 22, 2015 9:43 AM

5 replies

Dec 26, 2016 6:37 PM in response to lllaass

I installed the MP internal drive into a drive box connected to the iMac. It showed up on the iMac desktop. I erased the drive (all zeros overwrite), then downloaded OS X installer from the app store. I directed the install to the MP drive and after awhile it installed. I removed the drive from the box, reinstalled it in the MP and attempted to boot up. Heard the chime, then nothing.

Since writing, I installed the installer app (around 6GB) on a portable USB drive and connected that to the front of the MP. Again, heard the chime, but then nothing.

Dec 26, 2016 6:37 PM in response to Community User

UPDATE: Now, the MP boots properly from the iMac installed OS after all. I removed the mini connector adapter from the monitor cable and plugged directly into the DVI port of the video card, plus started in safe mode and now it works, sort of. part of the reason I replaced this MP in the first place was just this issue that sometimes it wouldn't start up, but I thought it might have been a software issue. Now, with the completely redone drive, it is clear I'm dealing with a hardware issue. Thanks for your support. Now I have to rfix what is most likely a video card issue.

Dec 26, 2016 6:37 PM in response to Community User

It was helpful when you wondered about why the MP wouldn't start with the iMac OS installation. I'd incorrectly assumed that the installs were different enough that it wouldn't work. You motivated me to try the video card issue. Thanks!

2010 MacPro with no OS

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.