Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can’t redownload content - Removed by provider

Hi,

Can someone tell me how is that even remotly legal ?

This is a quote from an Apple representative :

" the reason why you can’t redownload them is the content provider removed the songs or the content provider modified the song itself. "

So let me get this straight. When I buy content on iTune, I have absolutly no guarentee I will ever be able to enjoy that content. Because some crazy provider might decide one day that they don't wish me to get the content I paid for ??? The apple representative told me that I should make sure to backup my iTune content on a local hard drive or a USB key. Really Apple. Really ?

Please tell me this is a joke.

Posted on May 22, 2015 11:44 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 22, 2015 11:49 AM

No joke. All you truly purchase is a license to use the content as long as it is available. It really belongs to the artist/provider. Even if you transfer your purchases to your library, you are at risk of losing content. The fine print for iTunes and any music service will tell you that content can be removed/modified at anytime, without your permission and you have no recourse. Your issue is not with Apple, sorry. Welcome to copyright laws.

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 22, 2015 11:49 AM in response to simon-pierrefromquebec

No joke. All you truly purchase is a license to use the content as long as it is available. It really belongs to the artist/provider. Even if you transfer your purchases to your library, you are at risk of losing content. The fine print for iTunes and any music service will tell you that content can be removed/modified at anytime, without your permission and you have no recourse. Your issue is not with Apple, sorry. Welcome to copyright laws.

May 22, 2015 12:06 PM in response to ChrisJ4203

Thanks for the reply Chris

I must say I'm new to "purchasing" music online. I tought I would try and stop getting my music from the store or by other less "legit" means.

The idea that I was supporting the artists and that iTune would manage a clean library for me was enticing. I even bought my first iPod recently.

This practice (removing bought content) is absolutly unnaceptable in my book. I can't say I will support iTune anymore or any other online music store.

I'm sorry. I tried. The industry should take much more care of the paying customers.

Side note : In the PC-gaming industry, when a product is removed, the consumer gets is money back. At the least.

Can’t redownload content - Removed by provider

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.