Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iMessage issue

I have an iPhone 5. Wife has an iPhone6.

When i try to send her a message, it goes as SMS/text, not iMessage. However, when she responds to my message, it comes back to me as n iMessage. Also, if she initiates the message, it comes through as iMessage.I don't have this trouble with any other iPhone user.

I've already reset everything (iMessage toggling, reset network settings, etc).

Since everything she sends me comes as iMessage, I'm thiniking it's on my end, but no idea what to try next.

Anyone have any suggestions?

iPhone 5, iOS 8.3

Posted on May 22, 2015 12:23 PM

4 replies

May 22, 2015 12:54 PM in response to JThu

Have you considered trying the same steps with her? The way iMessage works is it polls Apples servers to see if a phone number is currently using iMessage, it's possible there's something up with her number that's causing your phone not to see her number as iMessage enabled. Toggling iMessage and FaceTime off, restarting the phone, then toggling them back on should resolve most iMessage issues.

May 22, 2015 1:37 PM in response to JThu

JThu,

1. If your wife initiates the thread and you reply, does it show up as iMessage or SMS?
  2. Be sure you are sending it to one of the addresses listed at Settings > Messages > Send & Receive > YOU CAN BE REACHED BY IMESSAGE AT
  3. Go to your phone's contacts. Inside the contact listed for your wife, add all of the phone numbers and email addresses of hers that are listed in Step 2.

The procedure above fixed the problem for me.

iMessage issue

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.