Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How can I assign a static ip to my alarm system? I am using my time capsule as router to my internet connection, i have a static ip from the provider.

How can I assign a static ip to my alarm system? I am using my time capsule as router to my internet connection, i have a static ip from the provider.

time capsule-OTHER

Posted on May 22, 2015 11:49 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 22, 2015 1:26 PM

1) In order to set up a static IP address for the alarm controller, you will need to know...or obtain....the MAC Address of the alarm controller device.

There may be more than one MAC Address depending on how the alarm controller connects.....using either wireless or Ethernet. Which is it?

The MAC Address is usually listed on a label on the back or bottom of the device and it looks something like this, for example only:

A1:B2:C3:D4:E5:F6

2) Your alarm controller may likely be expecting to connect to a router that uses Universal Plug and Play (UPnP), which automatically opens the ports that the device requires. Unfortunately, the Apple routers do not support UPnP......which creates a lot of difficulty for users who are trying to do the type of thing that you are trying to do. Lack of UPnP may be a show stopper depending on your alarm device.

Sometimes, the Apple router can be configured using what is known as manual Port Mapping. In order to do this, you would need to have or obtain all of the various port setting values for the following ports:

Public UDP

Public TCP

Private UDP

Private TCP

When you have the info for both 1) and 2) above, post back and we will continue. It would be very helpful if you could provide a link to the setup guide or installation manual for the alarm controller.

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 22, 2015 1:26 PM in response to teachingdokt

1) In order to set up a static IP address for the alarm controller, you will need to know...or obtain....the MAC Address of the alarm controller device.

There may be more than one MAC Address depending on how the alarm controller connects.....using either wireless or Ethernet. Which is it?

The MAC Address is usually listed on a label on the back or bottom of the device and it looks something like this, for example only:

A1:B2:C3:D4:E5:F6

2) Your alarm controller may likely be expecting to connect to a router that uses Universal Plug and Play (UPnP), which automatically opens the ports that the device requires. Unfortunately, the Apple routers do not support UPnP......which creates a lot of difficulty for users who are trying to do the type of thing that you are trying to do. Lack of UPnP may be a show stopper depending on your alarm device.

Sometimes, the Apple router can be configured using what is known as manual Port Mapping. In order to do this, you would need to have or obtain all of the various port setting values for the following ports:

Public UDP

Public TCP

Private UDP

Private TCP

When you have the info for both 1) and 2) above, post back and we will continue. It would be very helpful if you could provide a link to the setup guide or installation manual for the alarm controller.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.