Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Advice on iTunes networking

Hey guys, new to this discussion board thing.

I've found plenty of posts regarding what to do once it's networked but not much on the best way to go to start off with.

Basically what I want to do is have my iTunes library available over my network with iTunes running off my Windows tablet.

In an ideal world I'd have all devices apple to make the whole process a lot easier but sadly I can't do that.

I'd rather the cheapest possible option but obviously, in this case, if cheap means it won't work properly then I'll look at the more expensive options.

So the two options I've found are either buy a wireless hard drive or network an external to the router, is this right?

The tablet is running on full Windows so the idea (in theory) is when I open up iTunes on it I can access all my music and just stream across to it.

Originally I had iTunes and its library running off my laptop. Which is what I'm using to type this post but it's had its day, the keys are falling off it (literally, as I type this the keys hilariously just fly across the room), it turns itself off when ever it feels like it and it basically in general just sits on the table laughing at me.

The Windows tablet option is just a temporary replacement for the laptop until I can get a Windows 10 set up (so ideally I want the networked hard drive to be able to just continue working once i transfer iTunes on to another device. (Windows 10 setup is largely because of work and the usability with Xbox One).

The situation I envisage is that I can have the hard drive on the network, then listen to in what ever room I see fit. With the ability to open it up via my iPhone 5s or iPhone 4 (used as an iPod now) - This is so at my house parties I don't have to put up with people grabbing the tablet and smashing it or hilariously updating my facebook status every ten minutes.

As for video, the plan is to use the tablet to stream from the networked hard drive to the Xbox One via Miracast (although that may be a pipe dream as I suspect there may be a fair bit of lag doing it that way. The video files will probably just be accessed straight from the Xbox).

So guys, any help or advice is greatly appreciated, is all this possible with the tools I've got? Wireless Hard Drive or one plugged straight into the router?

OR Is this basically the worst post anyone has ever read?

I tried asking this question on various other websites specifically about different hard drives but I ended up just getting trolled and told apple stuff is **** and I should get android. That's literally never going to happen. One guy told me to ditch the iPhone and get the Samsung S4. This is amused me as I've got an S4 for work. It does a lot, it has a lot of features BUT it doesn't do any of them particularly well at all.

Windows 8

Posted on May 22, 2015 10:53 AM

There are no replies.

Advice on iTunes networking

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.