Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Getting a new MacBookPro

WARNING! Even though I am a diehard Mac fan, their current process for getting a new Macbook Pro is messed up. If you plan on upgrading from an old one and booking a personal One to One training session, be prepared to wait over a month for the new computer, wait 48 hours for them to transfer the data in which they will have both your computers leaving you with nothing (another detail they don't tell you anywhere). You'll also be paying $100.00 for the One to One training. And for goodness sakes, don't book your appointment for the training right away, because they will change your delivery date without notifying you and you can not schedule another appointment while you have one pending, and it is impossible to cancel an existing appointment. Apple has found a way to screw us from multiple angles.

MacBook Pro with Retina display

Posted on May 22, 2015 11:02 AM

4 replies

May 22, 2015 11:13 AM in response to joefromshowlow

joefromshowlow wrote:

WARNING! Even though I am a diehard Mac fan, their current process for getting a new Macbook Pro is messed up.

Not messed up at all...

1 - Select new MacBook

2 - Give them money/credit card/check.

3 - Get new MacBook

wait 48 hours for them to transfer the data in which they will have both your computers leaving you with nothing

Or you simply take the new computer home and use -> Setup/Migration Assistantto copy all your data to new computer when you first power it on.

May 22, 2015 11:18 AM in response to joefromshowlow

I ordered my new MBP for pick up at my local Apple Store and grabbed it 2 hours later. (It was available sooner than that but I had to wait until the end of the work day.) When I got home I unplugged my TimeMachine hard drive and plugged it into the new computer. Granted, it was a nearly unbearable 2 hour wait for Setup Assistant to migrate my data and applications but about 5 1/2 hours after purchasing it online I was using my new computer. I had no idea it was supposed to be so difficult.

Maybe in the future you’ll come here for help and save yourself the hassles.

May 22, 2015 11:27 AM in response to dwb

I was unaware of Setup Assistant to migrate my data and applications. I'll have to look into the details of how that works with parallels and all my PC software. I've been going off of multiple phone conversations with Apple. Seems that everyone I speak with has a different story to tell.

The month + wait for the new one is due to me upgrading the hard drive to the 1T. There is apparently quite the backlog on those.

Getting a new MacBookPro

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.