Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Apple Mail takes forever to send even text email

In the past months this problem has gotten worse.

Even a text email with a few words takes six to ten seconds to send.

Why is Apple Mail so slow?

MacBook Pro with Retina display, OS X Mavericks (10.9.4), 512 Gb SSD, 16 Gb RAM,

Posted on May 22, 2015 11:05 AM

5 replies

May 22, 2015 1:00 PM in response to Ocean 17

I believe there is your answer - I have about the same connection speed and sending email is slower than downloading files (as is uploading which is always considerably slower unless you are specifically paying for a higher upload speed). Mail contacts your ISP's server to send the mail - as soon as the connection is in place, the server is "in charge".

May 22, 2015 1:04 PM in response to babowa

It used to be instantly, and upload speed is 1 mbs, which should be blazing fast for such small files to send out.

I sometimes send full resolution files to clients (5MB) and the sending time is not much longer than tiny text files.

I feel it has to do how Apple Mail connects to mail servers. There's a delay in that.

Also, when starting the computer, Apple Mail takes 40 seconds to a full minute to get my mail.

Apple Mail takes forever to send even text email

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.