Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to crash iOS Calendar; need advice on how to delete crasher event

Two days I triggered a very obscure bug in iOS 8.3 Calendar on my iPhone 5s. I opened Calendar on my iPhone and tapped on an existing event for 9 AM that I wanted to delete. Just as I tapped on Delete Event the event's alert notification popped up. I tapped Close and then had to tap Delete Event again. The event was deleted BUT a New Event magically appeared for 9 AM.

The New Event has no calendar color line in the List view. If I turn off List view the New Event does not appear. Nor does it appear in Week view. Doing a search for "New Event" (which is what it is titled) does not find it. The New Event also does not appear on my iPad, the Mac (10.10.3 Calendar), or at iCloud.com even though I use iCloud syncing. This bogus event only appears in List view on the iPhone.

If l tap on the event it shows a start date and time but the end date is in the year 2000. And shows that it has been assigned to my default calendar.

If I edit anything for the event, as soon as I tap Done the Calendar app crashes. Reopening Calendar still shows the bogus New Event without any edits having been made. It always crashes if I try to edit it. Tapping Edit for the event and then tapping Done without making any changes also crashes the Calendar app. If I tap Delete Event, the event view closes but the event never gets deleted.

Force quitting the app and even restarting the phone has not helped. The event is always there and refuses to let itself be edited or deleted. I tried changing the phone date but that didn't remove the bogus event.

So, word of warning: do not delete an open event right after the event's alert appears. Close the event view then reopen it to delete it. Otherwise you might trigger this Apple Calendar bug.

BUT how can I now remove this one crasher "New Event" from Calendar on my iPhone, short of erasing all content on the phone?

Suggestions welcome.

iPhone 5s, iOS 8.3

Posted on May 22, 2015 1:31 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 23, 2015 3:16 PM

Solved the iOS Calendar crasher event that was created due to a serious but obscure bug in iOS 8.3 Calendar.

Turned off iCloud Calendar Sync on the iPhone and selected to remove all events from the phone. That deleted the crasher event and of course, all my calendars and events.

When I turned iCloud Calendar Sync back on my calendars DID NOT appear in the Calendars list on the phone and so none of my existing events appeared on the phone. I waited several minutes but still no calendars. I checked my Mac; all my calendars and events were still there and iCloud prefs showed that sync was on for Calendars. I connected the phone to iTunes and it showed that my calendars were syncing over the air to iCloud.

BUT still no calendars on the phone. I refreshed the Calendars list again on the phone and this time my calendars appeared BUT none of my existing events showed on the phone.

I created a new event on the Mac but it did not appear on the phone. I refreshed Calendars once again and this time all my events finally appeared on the iPhone.

Shades of MobileMe.

But now you know what to do if/when you trip that bug in iOS Calendar. Maybe Apple will fix it (I did report it).

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 23, 2015 3:16 PM in response to Mike Weasner

Solved the iOS Calendar crasher event that was created due to a serious but obscure bug in iOS 8.3 Calendar.

Turned off iCloud Calendar Sync on the iPhone and selected to remove all events from the phone. That deleted the crasher event and of course, all my calendars and events.

When I turned iCloud Calendar Sync back on my calendars DID NOT appear in the Calendars list on the phone and so none of my existing events appeared on the phone. I waited several minutes but still no calendars. I checked my Mac; all my calendars and events were still there and iCloud prefs showed that sync was on for Calendars. I connected the phone to iTunes and it showed that my calendars were syncing over the air to iCloud.

BUT still no calendars on the phone. I refreshed the Calendars list again on the phone and this time my calendars appeared BUT none of my existing events showed on the phone.

I created a new event on the Mac but it did not appear on the phone. I refreshed Calendars once again and this time all my events finally appeared on the iPhone.

Shades of MobileMe.

But now you know what to do if/when you trip that bug in iOS Calendar. Maybe Apple will fix it (I did report it).

How to crash iOS Calendar; need advice on how to delete crasher event

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.