Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Have every photo

Hello,

Is there a way to have all my photos and videos automatically go to my icloud? Once this is done, can I then delete all my photos and videos on my iPhone & iPad Air and I wouldn't have to worry because all the photos will remain on the icloud?

Thank You.

David

iPhone 5s, iOS 8.1.1, 32 Gb (Model MD439LL/A) Verizon

Posted on May 22, 2015 12:33 PM

4 replies

May 22, 2015 12:40 PM in response to vze2mp9g

Yes you can enable iCloud Photo Library and set it to only store thumbnail images on your device until you view them, then it downloads a full version.

https://www.apple.com/icloud/photos/

Keep in mind that iCloud Photo Library is not the same as a backup, if you're concerned about losing your photos keep a hard copy on your computer or keep multiple copies in other cloud services.

Also keep in mind that the Optimize Storage option is only for new photos. You'll have to upload all your photos to iCloud, then delete them from local storage on the device.

May 22, 2015 1:03 PM in response to vze2mp9g

If you turn on iCloud Photo Library on your iPhone and on your iPadAir, all of your photos and videos will be in 3 places -- the iPhone, the iPad Air and iCloud.com. You can change the setting Settings > Photos & Cameras to optimize the storage on your iPhone and/or iPad. Regardless of that setting, if you delete a photo or video from the iPhone, the iPad Air or iCloud it will be deleted from all 3 places. There is no option for iCloud only storage.

May 22, 2015 6:24 PM in response to vze2mp9g

Your full-resolution images will be stored in iCloud Photo Library by default. You can also choose to store these "originals" on your Mac. when you choose to "optimize" your libraries on iPhone and iPad, the amount of storage used for your photos will be managed automatically, so you don't have to worry about it.

As others here already pointed out, the new Photos app and enabled iCloud Photo Library will make all your images available to you on all devices in " optimized" versions. All your devices will also be synced with each other, including any Edits, but also Deletes, so be careful.

Get started with Photos for OS X

Have every photo

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.