Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Relationship between Crop and Straighten

For the first time, I used the Straighten tool (in Adjustments) to correct sloping horizons and leaning lamp-posts etc.

Now, when I come to use the Crop tool, all my images are slightly tilted.

What is/should be the relationship between Crop and Straighten, please?

Thanks!

iMac with Retina 5K display, OS X Yosemite (10.10.3), Clean machine... no haxies; no Microsoft etc

Posted on May 22, 2015 2:41 PM

10 replies

May 22, 2015 3:18 PM in response to Mark Sealey

What is/should be the relationship between Crop and Straighten, please?

When you crop a photo, that has been straightened, the crop will be applied to the straightened image, and it will be tilted, when you crop.

But only straightened images should appear tilted. Are you saying, all your images are tilted all of a sudden?

User uploaded file

Could it be, that you accidentally applied the straighten to all photos with the Lift&Stamp tool, when you wanted to stamp some metadata?

May 22, 2015 3:42 PM in response to léonie

Léonie,

Thanks, Yes: the crop is/seems to be being applied to the 'straightened' image (which I want/wanted to be like this).

As a result - appears tilted, which I do not want.

It's as you say (and your example shows, I think… it's a little dark, thanks!).

And only those images adjusted by my having previously used the Straighten Tool are now tilted when I come to crop them. Otherwise everything all shows up untilted.

So, the behavior is as expected?

If so, how can I meaningfully now crop a tilted image, please?

Thanks!

May 23, 2015 12:03 AM in response to Mark Sealey

So, the behavior is as expected?

If so, how can I meaningfully now crop a tilted image, please?

Only the image will be tilted as you straightened it and want it.

The cropping rectangle is constrained to the area that can be cropped out from the tilted image, without tilting the cropping rectangle.

Once you apply the crop clicking the "Apply" button the image will be back to normal.

User uploaded file

Perhaps your problem is, that Aperture opens all images with the tilted original showing when you browse and step the images?

This is meant to be helpful, but a bit confusing.

Make sure to deselect the straighten tool and crop tool while browsing. If an image opens with the straighten or crop tools selected, it will show the uncropped tilted image. Simply click the "Selection tool A"arrow or press the "A" keyboard shortcut.

User uploaded file

This will close the cropping view and show you the correctly cropped image.

User uploaded file

May 23, 2015 9:44 AM in response to léonie

léonie wrote:

…Make sure to deselect the straighten tool and crop tool while browsing. If an image opens with the straighten or crop tools selected, it will show the uncropped tilted image. Simply click the "Selection tool A"arrow or press the "A" keyboard shortcut.…

Léonie!

Thanks so much again for taking the time and trouble to help me here.

What you describe is (of course!) what happens :-)

(And, No - I only see a tilt (presumably in the counter direction of what I did?) on images that I have straightened - and straightened to my liking, successfully.

But I think your descriptions of what (am I right?) seem to be three 'states' of an image (namely, Browsing, Tillable, Croppable???) has revealed a big gap in my understanding: am I not (permanently) saving images after cropping/straightening them each time?

Is - in some way - use of the Crop and/or Straighten tool a sort of specific 'View' of an original (I have a Referenced Library)?

And an Original, at that, which is always there to go back and work on?

If so, does such a view (e.g. ready to crop) present me with a 'version' of each image which is additional to the basic one I have on my raw file-system?

When you say

Make sure to deselect the straighten tool and crop tool while browsing

That is, I know, very significant. But I still don't really understand where it fits into using my images.

Once again - your help appreciated. I really want to understand this :-)

May 23, 2015 10:12 AM in response to Mark Sealey

am I not (permanently) saving images after cropping/straightening them each time?

When you crop an image you save the edited version with the cropping applied by pressing the "Apply" button.

That will save the current crop, and when you open the image again, this cropping rectangle should be applied.

User uploaded file

Is - in some way - use of the Crop and/or Straighten tool a sort of specific 'View' of an original (I have a ReferencedLibrary)?

It is not showing the original master image. What you will see is the currently edited version, but in the bounds of the original image. You can check this by applying a color adjustment. Then you'll see, that the tilted image below the cropping rectangle will have the adjusted colors.

That is, I know, very significant. But I still don't really understand where it fits into using my images.

My recommendation "Make sure to deselect the straighten tool and crop tool while browsing" is just meant to ensure that the images will not open in the tilted view with the cropping rectangle overlayed, when you do not want to crop them.

As long as the neither Crop nor Straighten is selected, your images will show the currently edited version, when you switch between the images.

May 23, 2015 10:23 AM in response to léonie

Léonie,

Thanks again. Everything you say not only makes sense, but is as I experience it.

But to help me understand what Aperture is doing (rather than - pragmatically - what I should do (thanks) in order to use it), is it true to say:

• there is my original, 'Master' Raw or jpeg etc - on the filesystem, and essentially untouched by Aperture
  • there is the 'version' of the image which I see when browsing
  • there is the 'version' of the image which I get when I want to adjust cropping - or adjust the tilt (straighten)

?

If so, I guess I still don't really understand the relationship in files between what I see to crop/or straighten and what I see when I browse.

May 23, 2015 11:50 AM in response to Mark Sealey

• The browser is showing you the thumbnails of the edited versions, with all edits applied.
  • When you open an image in the viewer, you will usually see the edited version with all edits applied, unless you press the "M" key to toggle between the version and the original.
  • If the crop/straighten tools are active, they will add the uncropped version as a background to the edited version in the viewer, so you can change the cropping rectangle.

User uploaded file

May 23, 2015 12:43 PM in response to léonie

Thanks so much, léonie!

I can't imagine how you could have explained this more clearly.

I understand perfectly :-)

'Everything' really is all always there (which is fine by me); it's just a question of what's selected… which Tool(s), which View.

Tangentially, though, if I may - and I'm pretty sure, unrelated: when I'm cropping the box sometimes doesn't behave as I want - which is usually to be able to extend (and contract it) over the entire image. I typically turn 'Constraining' off.

It seems to make a difference whether I start top left, bottom left, bottom right or top right and drag outwards from there.

Is that expected?

Again - much appreciated.

Relationship between Crop and Straighten

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.