Newsroom Update

Apple is introducing a new Apple Watch Pride Edition Braided Solo Loop, matching watch face, and dynamic iOS and iPadOS wallpapers as a way to champion global movements to protect and advance equality for LGBTQ+ communities. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Phone is unavailable message if number is attached to a contact?

Hi.

I'm facing a very weird error with one of my friend's phone number. Whenever I call him from my Iphone (Iphone 5.IOS 8.1.2) using his contact, I get a message from the carrier saying the phone is currently unavailable. However, if I call him back using exactly the same phone number from call history, call is placed without any issue. I've deleted his contact and picked the phone number in call history to create a new one but problem still remains.Help?

Thanks,

J.

iPhone 5, iOS 8.1.2

Posted on May 22, 2015 2:55 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 22, 2015 3:59 PM

Your friend may have Do Not Disturb enabled. DND has a setting that allows a call to come through if someone calls twice from the same number in 3 (I think) minutes. That could certainly explain the behaviour. Try calling twice from the number in contacts.

3 replies

May 23, 2015 1:31 AM in response to IdrisSeabright

Hi.

Not really. Since the strange behavior doesn't happen when I call him the first time from the call history, nor does it happen when calling him from my wife's Iphone. If DND was active it would definitely happen in these occasions also. Right now I would be more inclined to a software bug on my Iphone, but I really don't have a clue why it's behaving this way.

Phone is unavailable message if number is attached to a contact?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.